Old 05-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #33
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Boulder Aikikai Spring Seminar

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I agree Don, Peter's comments are always gold to me. I've noticed that he prefers to just ask questions and let me reason out where he is going...it doesn't always work on me, but when it does, it really helps!

Thanks all,
Ron
Actually, Ron, I had a whole post written out, then I scrapped it (as I often do in forums such as these). The post dealt with three issues germane to this waza: the need for the back hole, as Sczcepan intimated; the difficulty of creating this black hole with an attacker where the arc of the attack is not controlled by tori--such control is (potentially) in place where the waza is a henka-waza from 1-kyo, as Sczcepan also intimated. There was also something on the importance of correct irimi, as Ellis A understands this. So I was actually almost repeating what others have already stated or thought.

I asked the question about circular movement because I have seen the waza done in two slightly different ways, which in my opinion have an influence on maai. In one way, the general aim is to send uke in the direction in which he/she was coming to begin with. In the other way, the aim is to lead uke in a circle (a spiral, actually), where he/she ends up going in a different direction. The first way is favoured by people like Hiroshi Tada (and Mitsunari Kanai, from what I remember when I trained in the US. The second way is favoured by people who trained in the old Osaka Aikikai (Bansen Tanaka and perhaps H Kobayashi.

I have regularly trained here with people from Osaka who were contemporaies of K Chiba, when he was a deshi, and I found the differences striking.

Best regards,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 05-03-2005 at 05:50 PM.

P A Goldsbury