View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #124
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States
Re: Defending against Aikido

[i]Hey all,

Just say that you find yourself in a defensive situation and someone is attempting to use Aikido on you, he already may you off balance a bit, is Aikido, if implemented correctly and quickly enough, defendable against?

Deep thoughts Deep thoughts?[i]

1. If someone is trying to attack you using "aikido", it is no longer truly aikido. Depending upon there intention and the technique they use it is most likely going to be some form of aiki-budo, aiki-jujitsu, etc. THIS IS NOT AIKIDO, THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE.

2. If this hypothetical situation is meant to represent a "real life" attack by someone, it is not a realistic one. Most skilled martial artists of any style, form, etc. are not going around on the street picking fights or robbing people. They are off making money in some way or teaching people.

3. One of the most important lessons I've learned through personal experience and other people's experience is that if you go looking for trouble you are going to find it or it will find you. In other words about 80% of the time if someone gets into a "fight" they did something to provoke it.

Anyway I'm sorry for the tangent, but in my mind these distinctions are important ones.