View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 11:02 PM   #102
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Defending against Aikido

Quote:
Roy Dean wrote:
This is exactly why I fell in love with BJJ, and why I think "mainstream" Aikido could benefit from their training methods. Questions regarding reversing or countering techniques become self evident through DOING, with resistance. It's all reversible, whether through tactics or redirection, regardless of the techniques employed, regardless of the style.
The other night, I was reading part of "Secrets of Aikido" by John Stevens. In respomse to complaints from within and without Aikido that uke and nage cooperate too much, Stevens said, "That's the point."

Oh, well. So much for that debate; point to Alex. And I doubt "mainstream" Aikido will be borrowing from BJJ any time soon. It's like saying baseball players need to work on their field goal kicks. Not gonna happen.

That said, it's beginning to look to me like ukemi waza is probably one of the hardest parts of the art. You're no good to nage if you drop before he or she can even apply the technique. On the other hand, if you resist too much, depending on nage's skill, you either get a frustrated nage (me -- actually happened in Kali some years ago) or an airborne uke (which I've seen). Neither helps much. It has to be ..... juuuuussssttttt riiiiiggghhhht. There's a timing element in there, and you have to be pretty aware of what nage's doing to "play your part."

Hmmmm.

In a previous post I alluded to the fact that if, when and how much to resist is a complicated question. I'm beginning to appreciate that.