View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #103
sanskara

United_States
Re: Shioda, Tohei, and Ki Things

A couple of things in need of clarification:

1. I do respect Tohei, but also disagree with many aspects of his organization, administration, etc. We actually discussed this in personal e-mails, so you know my views of Ki development don't revolve around Tohei. I actually don't agree with some of his basic philosophy and teaching methods. But that's outside the scope of this conversation.

2. We have talked about Ki and I've been clear, not vague, about my perspectives. I brought up a number of points related to your posts and you decided that that wasn't good enough--your choice. Perhaps, I'm partially at fault for this conflict because of the tone of some of my posts. If an apology will help smooth things over, I offer it for whatever negative roll I've played, but that shouldn't undermine the content of my posts, nor does it erase your liability in the excursion.

3. I've never intimated that I have secret information--not once. However, if you are interested in Tohei's teachings during a certain time period, I have some knowledge of such things. So do others. Ultimately, it shouldn't matter where you get the info from; it doesn't to me.

4. Your insinuation that you can know about a teacher or their organization from watching videos given your background is pretty shaky ground for an argument against someone who was actually immersed in the culture under scrutiny for a number of years. Personally, I wouldn't make it.

5. Lastly, to reiterate, my issue is with your generalizations about Aikido and some of its pioneers--including Shioda, by the way, but I can't speak for the Yoshinkai, so I won't. Which is exactly what I stated earlier. Tohei is just one example, not necessarily the most prevalent. It just happens to be a subject I know well enough to debate, and therefore have.

By the way, I don't know Shaun Ravens, but I followed your discussion with him in the forum. It seems to me that given he is/was a student of Abe for a number of years, you might want to take his word on Abe's teachings and perspectives, especially since you're doing research and all that, and may not necessarily have any other connection with that branch of Aikido. I wouldn't be so quick dismiss any offers I got in that area if I were genuinely searching for knowledge with an open mind and not just looking to feed a confirmation bias. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,
James Bostwick