Old 04-24-2005, 05:49 AM   #23
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Teaching the names of techniques.

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote:
Thanks, Peter, that was interesting. I love hearing about the history of Aikido in little tidbits.

When I began studying Aikido I did not really pay attention to the names, No techniques seemed familiar for such a long time....I remember after about 6 months of regular practice 3 times a week noticing......" wow I have done this before". It was shomen uchi kokyu nage.

Most people start to learn the names of techniques for their first test. I think learning them was my responsibility. Perhaps (and I mean this in the gentlest way) you could take the energy you are putting into thinking that your dojo is doing it incorrectly into really listening to the names when they are stated and then repeating them to yourself. I have found that when I really pay attention, it is not so hard to remember them.
Mary
Hello Mary,

What is interesting is that there can be several names for the same waza. We had a grading several years ago here in Hiroshima and the examiner, who originaly trained in Nagoya, asked for tenbin-nage (tenbin means a balance or pair of scales). The examinees, who were students, had no idea of what was being asked, so the examiner got up and demonstrated (with some irritation) what I would call juji-nage (juji is cross or the Japanese character for ten). Some people might call this udekimi-nage and reserve juji-nage for the arm twine, which we in Hiroshima call ude-garami. (Doshu in his book "Kiban Aikido" calls this juji-garami.)

Which just goes to show that names are really more or less definite shorthand descriptions and each shihan seems to have a preferred description for some of the less common techniques. Even for the shomen-uchi kokyunage yuo mentioned in your post, several possibilities come to mind.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury