View Single Post
Old 07-06-2001, 04:59 PM   #19
Richard Harnack
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Mid-America
Question "Static" "Dynamic"

I couldn't resist, nor could I let it flow by.

In Seidokan we use "static" training in the first stages of learning a technique, regardless of rank or level of difficulty. This is so that both Nage and Uke learn the major points of the technique SAFELY. Once everyone is up on the basics, then the attack is given with more movement behind it at a speed approriate to the level of training.

As to "resistance" or "resisting a technique", if Nage has the technique correct from the beginning, Uke is putting themself at risk of injury.

I have had students from other styles of Aikido attack then stop the attack completely and stand there "resisting". Most times, once I have evaded their "attack" I stand there and look at them. Usually this elicits a response such as, "Aren't you going to do the technique". Depending on my mood at that moment in time I may say kindly to them, "I am sorry, I obviously misunderstood my role, I thought I was the Nage." When I am in not such a good mood, I might say, "I will when I have a real attack".

Since on these occasions I am usually in a white belt, I will allow the other student to teach me their expectations. Then I try to follow their style as well as possible.

My point is, for safety's sake, starting from a "static" attack/defense and moving into increasingly more dynamic attacks/defenses is the way most Aikido is taught.

As to "resisting", I have seen too many people needlessly injured because they thought they could challenge their partner only to have their partner increase the amount of force to overcome the resistance. Don't fall down for any old slop, but do know when to take the ukemi.

Yours In Aiki,
Richard Harnack