View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #68
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Shioda, Tohei, and Ki Things

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
...but the real problem was that I hadn't had anyone actually define the specific part of "aiki" before, the way Inaba did. Using that, I go back and see that Shioda wasn't just "delighting in kokyu tricks", as I earlier said, he was focusing on what "aiki-do" actually meant to him. It's an honest epiphany for me.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
...Suddenly I see a whole art built around that concept

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
...and I see even more clearly than before why just a few techniques are necessary if you have that particular skill.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
...The point being that "explosive power" is just one way you can apply this concept (or you can just use it to show off) and that's somewhat aside from "finding the empty spot" (which is important, but more complicated than I'm making it).

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
...Well, it makes sense, certainly, but it sounds like different usages of the same basic concept that Inaba called "aiki". I.e., once you understand it, you can play variations on the same theme.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
...So someone being uke for Tsuki-Kotegaeshi with Shioda might have described a "whirlpool" or whatever feeling, but the essence of what Shioda did would have been this use of "aiki" throughout the throw, regardless of the feeling his particular variation of aiki induced on uke.
...but I do believe that many would benefit if we clarify what is meant in the underlined portion of your last statement.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.