View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #47
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Shioda, Tohei, and Ki Things

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
Time and timing are two separate components that have an important part in things. Distance and space are another two.
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once; Space is what keeps everything from happening to YOU.
Quote:
No two objects can occupy the same space at the same time. If you're good enough with aiki, ki, timing, and distance, you can "make" some uki believe that the space that they are going to occupy has suddenly been occupied by tori/nage. The time part is the fraction of a second where tori/nage occupies that space with ki/whatever. The timing is knowing when to start and end this process. The space is the exact point where uki believes himself to be. The distance is how much each person moves to accomplish these things. But all four are separate entities.

Now, if a tori/nage can do this without physically occupying that space, that's what I call using ki. My opinion. But when you can do that (and I can't, yet), and use aiki/blending/harmonizing, then you have an infinite amount of choices/movements to play with.

Think about blending with an uki to redirect them where you want them and then occupying the space they were going to land in with your ki. You would have an uki that would be putty in your hands. And that's about as well as I can explain some of the things I've felt but couldn't comprehend. And I'm not even sure I'm right in my thinking that this is what is going on. But until I'm further along and can understand more ... it'll be a mystery worth solving.
I would still point out that even O-Sensei stressed atemi, even though many Aikidoists think everything can be done by magically "blending with your opponent". Every really good Aikidoist that I've ever seen uses checks and hits when he can't "blend" with even cooperative attacks, so I'd at least offer the opinion that the perhaps false goal of blending may not be totally on target.

FWIW

Mike