View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #70
Bodhi
United_States
Re: causing no (serious) harm

Ron, excellent question! A real fighter isnt going to back off at afew good shots, much less a little broken finger or hurt wrist! In most my fights i didnt even feel the pain until it was over. Besides, a fight doesnt last long, maybe 30 seconds at the very most and thats pushing it, unless its a multiples situation. Attackers arent trying to come at you easy and go 3 or 4 rounds pacing themselves, its gonna be off the hook for about 15 or 20 seconds and then its done! Almost anyone, even someone thats not really trying to hurt you can take some pain for 15 or 20 seconds. I have asked this question of many street fighters as well as NHB/MMA and the answer is always the same, "ya just dont feel it that much". What ends things quick are chokes, AND "if you can do it" repeat striking to vital areas and eye goudges. Even then it depends on your attacker, especially if they have a high pain tolerance with the mindset to match and really want to hurt you. This of course addresses empty hand situations alone, if you give me a blade, ill target vital anatomy i.e juglar, liver, kidneys, abdominal aorta, intestines aka what we call the "blueworm" I can access them quickly and efficiently while being assured my attacker will cease within afew seconds. Good blade work strives for this, if your life is truly in danger you end the confrontation, period, not just break something. In the end it really all boils down to how your training and who you have been training against! Its very important to train those wild crazy unpredictable attacks that just keep comming one on one, multiple opponents, with and without weapons or whatever. Get you some (minimal) safety equipment and try it, youll see what im talking about. Your attributes will evolve to a place you never thought possible.