View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #18
fullerfury
Dojo: Aikido Suimei
United_States
Re: May I come visit your dojo?

Hi Ron. I remember my visit to the North Wales dojo fondly and remember you as well.

In truth my main reason for posting this correspondence was for a point of discussion. While I was a bit taken back by the reply my student received, I am not really all that surprised, even if I said as such.

Every chance I get I pack a dogi when on vacation or work related travel. I have only had great experiences( Aikido of Dallas and The Dojo in LA run by Sensei Robert Bryner come to mind ) when I have been fortunate enough to find a new dojo to lay some sweat down in, if only briefly.
I have also only had very positive experiences when visitors from other local organizations and States have come to train with me. In both cases, I have always ended up learning something new.

I also find it hard to believe, especially from what appears on paper as a well established school ( one with numerous yudansha on the teaching staff of level of at least 3rd dan ) that the school in question would not be able to monitor 1 4th kyu on the mat for one session.

It is a shame that the students of that school are not exposed to other flavors of Aikido.

-Garrett