View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 05:34 PM   #14
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: May I come visit your dojo?

Yeah, but I think most instructors know that rank and duration of training are totally relative and thus nearly meaningless. For example, if a person told me he/she had been training for 1.5 years, I still would have no idea how well they moved (or not) until I actually saw them. And I wouldn't expect to know until I did see them. The same thing would go for their rank - even if they said they were a 3rd dan. I mean, after a while, you figure out that a person can say they have been training 10 or 20 years and still not have that mean a darn thing - so while I guess it is possible, I would be a little surprised to hear that a dojocho felt they could interpret anything from rank and/or stated duration of training. I think it's just protocol that we mention these things when visiting new dojo but I don't think it's actually carrying with it any kind of significance and/or meaning - at least not the kind where you start turning folks away. Therefore, I would suggest the dojocho in question just turns everyone away - even when rank and duration of training seem to correspond to his/her own.

Last edited by senshincenter : 04-12-2005 at 05:41 PM.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.