View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 03:57 AM   #21
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Defending against Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I never condone going to the ground if you do not have to. My assumption is that a aikidoka has your balance, you are defending yourself, he/she is probably already well ahead of your ability to regain posture, therefore you are going to the ground. Best way I know to save yourself is to grab ahold of something like clothing and ride it down minimizing the next move which I assume would be pin or atemi or something.

The best situation is to not let them take your balance in the first place!

I agree with you...it is the same argument I argue with all the time with my BJJ buddies about multiple opponents. You'd be suprised that most of them agree to, but still practice for the sport aspect of it because it is fun.

I have had some new insights into the Army Combatives program which is heavily based on BJJ. In training my soldiers for Military Operations in Urban Terrain (MOUT) most of the high probability scenarios favor BJJ since we do not go into room clearing alone and you are overwhelmed by an opponent and with all your crap on you simply do a controlled fall and hold the guy until your buddy can subdue him.

Don't want to get off on this tangent though. Sorry, but when you start talking "what if's" and realitiy scenarios...it opens up a whole nother ball game and many, many variables to consider that we cannot replicate nor need to in the dojo.
Fair response. I certainly don't want to go down the what if route. Way too many variables to cover off.

Personally I think jujitsu ..BJJ or otherwise...is an excellent compliment to aikido and practiced it for 8 years. The instructor was very into MMA scene and competes professionally in uk.

Everything has its flaws but like most martial arts training the plusses outweigh the negatives.

I see a heck of a lot of plusses in BJJ.

Thanks for post and clearing up the voluntarily seeking the ground query.

D