View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 06:52 AM   #13
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido during your "on the mat" training?

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
In the beginning, I was going to answer along the same lines as Xu, during class, practice, I'm not philosophizing, I'm not thinking deep thoughts, just practicing. But, as I thought about what makes my practice unique unto me, and different from some of the others that practice, is the mindset, attitude, or approach as you will, to the practice. This is definitely influenced by my understanding of Aikido philosophy, by my understanding of Budo. This seems more in line with the latter two quotes. And in fact, they're all right. On the matt is not the time to "philosophize", it is the time to practice, but the practice is influenced by the philosophy. Maybe a better riddle would be which came first, the practice or the philosophy???
Maybe its a question of experience initially.

Those that are new are just trying to do...those with experience are doing in order to achieve a goal.

Maybe also what people want from aikido changes as they grow.

In the cases above you can see short term goals and long term goals.

Hopefully the short term goals align with the long term goals eventually.

For me now this is critical....all practice is ultimately geared toward my perception of the 'philosophy of aikido'.

Cheers

D