View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #12
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:
Having trained in dojos in several countries, I have noticed that different dojos have different "standard" hanmi when it comes to shomeunchi and tsuki.

For example, in one dojo, uke and nage would normally stand in gyaku hanmi before uke attacks. So, if nage's left foot is forward, uke's right foot would be forward. Uke would then attack by stepping forward with his left leg and striking with his left arm.

In other dojos, uke and nage would normally stand in ai hanmi before uke attacks. So, if nage's left foot is forward, uke's left foot would also be forward. Uke would then attack off his left foot and arm - the right leg does not step in front of the left.

From what I understand, standing in gyaku hanmi is dangerous because uke or nage can kick each other even before the "main" attack. Of course, in jiyu waza, randori, or even outside the dojo, people aren't going to adjust their hanmi before attacking.

But I AM curious and was wondering what hanmi you tend to adopt for shomenuchi and tsuki in your dojo and why?

Please share your thoughts
It's funny you mention hanme right after my own died *cries* it won't work anymore*cries*...Anyway your hanme depends partly on your preferance and partly on your sensei's/style's general rule.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner