View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: New Aikido Dojo Opening in Houston, TX

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
I wonder if there is any honour or regulation in dojo/school names, as Shudokan is the name of the dojo and school of Master Thamby Rajah?

What would happen if someone called their dojo/school the Yoshinkan?
This is an interesting question Simon but very difficult to come up with a solution me thinks. I understand where you're coming from but it's kind of like you calling your son Bryan, or me calling my son Simon, or even naming your new company Wilson Sports, it's just making use of standard names. I know that your company name may be regulated by companies house if it's a limited (incorporated) company, but nothing stopping you starting an unlimited company or partnership using that name. My Sensei's dojo in Japan is called the seibukan, I have seen other Aikido and Judo clubs here in the west use the same name. Our club is called MK Seishin Aikido Club, I have seen Seishin used in other Aikido and Judo clubs too. I don't think there is any lack of honour or respect by choosing a similar name, there is a limited set to choose from really. Lack of honour/ respect would only come from using the same name and pretending to be linked to or part of the other organisation when it's not true.

Regulation would prove difficult too, unless you were a big enough organisation to sue everyone else using your name, if that's what you wanted to do, but then you'd have to prove that you used it first. It may well be that Thamby Sensei took or adopted Shudokan from somewhere else too, or that another association in Japan used it before him. What about across arts, i.e. there's a Judo or kendo association in Japan (or elsewhere in the world) that used it first, how would you go about dealing with that?

I think the only thing that one can do is accept that there are going to be other clubs and/or associations elsewhere in the world that have the same or similar names.

For what it's worth

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"