View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #27
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: causing no (serious) harm

Quote:
Paul Finn wrote:
How can we say that an aikido technique doesn't count as violence as long as it is executed in the way of aikido?
I am sure the recipient of your technique with a fractured limb and a few bruises would disagree with you.
If I executed my technique without intent to cause harm, using my skills and abilities to deal with an unprovoked attack outside the dojo (where the attacker intended me harm), then any damage that occurred to the attacker as a consequence would be as a result of his own violence, not my Aikido.

Quote:
Paul Finn wrote:
Besides why does violence carry such a negative connotation?
Because violence means to do intentional harm. You can't be accidentally violent! At some level you have given yourself permission to deliberately attempt to inflict harm upon another human being if you choose to be violent.

Quote:
Paul Finn wrote:
The first time a beginner see Tobi ukemi they are often shocked by the violence of aikido. Are they wrong to think aikido is violent? I don't think so, I think we as students have become immune to this fact.
As a beginner I never saw Aikido as violent. Impressive, physical, sometimes hard, and very mysterious, yes. A beginner would indeed be wrong to think Aikido is violent, unless what they witnessed was an act of violence carried out in the name of Aikido, which regrettably does happen sometimes.

Perhaps I am fortunate that I could tell the difference between hard Aikido and violent technique from near the beginning of my training. Perhaps I'm just a good observer of human beings.

It's all in the intention, this hard vs violent training, empowered by self-control.

Ruth