creinig
Dojo: Yoshinkan Würzburg
United Nations
Re: Article: Ultimate Martial Art? by George S. Ledyard

Quote:
Paul Watt wrote:
Quote:
George Ledyard wrote:
One does not see the types of striking techniques which exist in combat oriented martial arts targeting vital points. The use of these would produce serious injury and these competitors all know that if they utilize any techniques of that sort, these techniques will in turn be used against them. The same is true of joint oriented techniques as found in traditional jiu jutsu which are designed to destroy the joints, connective tissues and even limbs of an opponent.
What joint oriented techniques are you referring to? Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a single aikido joint technique that would not be allowed in the UFC (granted different organizations have different rules and all.....)
I read George's quote as saying that the UFC fighters don't really want to use the dangerous strikes / locks, because using them would mean having them used against themselves as well. So a "silent agreement" or "gentleman's agreement" not to use that stuff and to keep the fights reasonably civil might be in effect.