Thread: Punches
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #39
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Punches

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Any principle will be interpreted differently in different dojo in different circumstances so perhaps the question is a red herring.
To atemi, or not to atemi, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The punches and grabs of outrageous technique;
Or to take swing at a sea of uke's,
And by blending, end them: to irimi, to tenkan
No more; and by a nikkyo, to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to; 'Tis a consumation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To pin in ikkyo,
To sankyo, perchance to Tsuki; Aye, there's the rub,
For in that use of atemi, what protests may come.
Quote:
Folks may not like that in their dojo, but it's a hard point to argue. What follows is that dojo's conventions. Caveat emptor.
True... and if you don't conform to the unspoken but rigid dojo protocols, you will be made to suffer. Ejected and dejected.
Quote:
More interestingly, Shioda does ATEMI with the UKE's contact on him. UKE's attack impacts and he/she is thrown back.
I was gratified to see Shioda to an OK shoulder strike in a randorii on a videoclip.
Quote:
Also interesting are the iterations of ATEMI beyond the physical, the eye flick or shoulder flinch which affect UKE without contact. I enjoyed Angier setting a paper fan on the bridge of his UKE's nose, e.g.
There is a discussion in Chinese martial arts about "Lin Kong Jin" which indicates an "empty force", i.e., a force that moves someone without touching. I asked Chen Xiao Wang (the head of Chen style, more or less) about it one day and he said it originally referred to a skill in deliberate movements, fakes, etc., that cause an opponent to move ... a form of control without touching. This term for an ancient skill has been corrupted to mean by the carnival types in martial arts a mental control of someone from a distance. Don't buy what they're selling.

FWIW

Mike