View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 05:24 AM   #217
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Looks like this has moved away from the nonsense title of this thread to more of an 'aikido v NHB/BJJ' angle.

This has been done pretty much to death but for what its worth heres a couple of thoughts.

Are you comparing like for like? Most people thinking of NHB think of the likes of Ken Shamrock, Oleg Takarov and the Gracies.

When they think of aikido they think of the local sensei, or if they have wider exposure they think of the famous deschi or O'Sensei himself.

is this a fair comparison? The former train specifically for head to head, 1 v 1 cage scenario. No weapons, No extra opponents joining in to defend their buddies, just them and the athlete in front of them.

In this scenario no way does aikido compete. The conditioning of this cream of the crop is unbelievable whereas the condition of many of the leading sensei who demonstrate rather than practice is questionable.

Lets also not forget the likes of Tank Abbot who could beat superior technical prowess with a bit of boxing, a bit of wresting, a beergut to be proud of and a heck of a lot of attitude.

He beat some top NHB competitors...and while he has been undone in the ring by some of them he's certainly someone I'd prefer on my side rather than not.

My point here is that its the nature of the artist rather than the art that proves decisive.

Does any of this invalidate aikido? not to me. Remove the rules and restrictions of NHB and aikido ....just like every other art ...has its advantages and disadvantages.

In my training we are taught that the techniques of aikido are less important than the bases they deliver...kamai, Maai, shisei, kokyu-ho ...relationship/position, distance, posture, breathing. Further to this we are also taught that the core of aikido is irimi and atemi.

Apply enter and strike to the right target, from the right position with correct breathing pattern and you should have a form that is pretty effective. Don't get hung up on whether it is ikkyo nikkyo kotagaeshi or whatever. If the bases are right it will work..

Blend this attack with an oppenents moves and you have aikido.

Of course this is conjecture. Aikido seems to be more about avoiding fighting rather than fighting so in the main I'm talking about potential here.

By having this wider objective Aikido makes it harder for its exponents to excel against those who focus on a specific skill.

I include 'fighting' as a specific skill.

If the thread said who would you bet on in a fight? top MMA or senior aikidoka I'd put my money on ken shamrock.

As a person I prefer to train to control violence rather than to react with it. I've practiced jujitsu, vale tude, boxing and wrestling to assimilate some of what they offer. Right now I'm working more on my aikido.

I recognise the plusses and minuses of this - I'd say chose the art that suits you best and don't get fooled by mystique or by cable TV coverage.

Just my thoughts.

D