View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
John Driscoll
Dojo: Aikido Nord du Lac
United_States
Re: Of Oak Leaves, Blind Hogs, and an Acorn

Aviv Sensei–

Your point is well taken. For clarification, I see the right angle alignment of the line connecting nage’s feet with the line connecting uke’s feet as characteristic of the basic koshinage of O’Sensei, appearing in both “head under” and “hip under” versions. I believe O’Sensei used the basic form of koshinage as a base from which he developed the koshinage variations found in Aikido, a number of which do not conform to the right angle foot alignment.

There is an excellent series of photographs of Morihiro Saito Sensei performing a “hip under” koshinage in response to morote dori across the bottom of pages 66 and 67 of Takemusu Aikido – Volume 3, Basics Concluded. A series of photographs of his son performing the same “hip under” koshinage appear across the top of the pages. In both series of photographs, when nage completes tsukuri, nage and uke are in the right angle alignment. As an aside, the subject series of photographs of Morihiro Saito Sensei are from the pamphlet “Takemusu Aiki, 2 Koshinage” published by Aiki News in 1981.

There are a number of additional examples of right angle alignment in “hip under” koshinage available.

When did O’Sensei incorporate koshinage variations in the technical corpus of Aikido? Koshinage variations were being practiced as early as 1933. An illustration of a “hip under” koshinage in response to ryote dori, not employing the right angle alignment, appears in Budo Training in Aikido as technique 100. As you know, Budo Training in Aikido was first published in 1933. In addition to the referenced ryote dori koshinage, there are several other koshinage illustrated in the text, each display the right angle alignment.

Additionally, in the koshinage appearing as technique 100, uke does not transverse nage’s loin from hip to hip, as in all of the other koshinage appearing in the text. The actual axis of rotation appears very similar to the axis of rotation found in the Ogoshi of Kodokan Judo. The technique is clearly different from the basic koshinage of O’Sensei.

I appreciate your offering your thoughts and hope my response clarifies my original observations. Regards, JED.