View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States
Re: Of Oak Leaves, Blind Hogs, and an Acorn

John Sensei,

Interesting article. Thank you for bringing this research public. I think there are two items, however, that merit further analysis:

1. You say "O'Sensei aligns his feet on a line forming a right angle with the line connecting the feet of uke." Although this is true for head-under koshinage it is not for hip-under where feet are more parallel than perpendicular. Just because there are no photos of O'Sensei doing hip under koshinage in the Noma dojo photos, doesn't mean he wasn't doing it in the 1930s. Since Saito Morihiro Shihan teaches hip-under koshinage, the founder must have been doing it in the 40-50-60s.

2. You say, "the Koshi Nage would have to be found in one or more of the following jujutsu schools: Daito-ryu, Kodokan Judo, Tenshin Shin'yo-ryu, or Yagyu Shingan-ryu Taijutsu." While I would generally agree with you, the founder said that some of what he did (and presumably taught) was divinely inspired. Perhaps he analyzed the various koshinage and developed his own version to more closely actualize aiki principles.

I wonder what others think about this.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org