AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How many aikidoka? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9931)

Mark Freeman 03-02-2006 05:57 PM

How many aikidoka?

I was just reading George Ledyards post in the 'organisations' thread, and he was refering to organisations with 'tens of thousands of practitioners'
I got me wondering, just how many Aikidoka are there worldwide?
Would anyone like to hazard a guess?
I was also wondering how many countries is Aikido being practiced in??

Curiously yours

Mark

Michael O'Brien 03-02-2006 06:41 PM

Re: How many aikidoka?

Mark,
Interesting question; I haven't read the organizations thread so I don't know the discussion there.

A couple of quick google searches came up the number 192 for the number of countries in the world. I don't know if I would hazard a guess that Aikido is practiced in all of them, but certainly in most of them I would think.

With that number of countries in mind I would then venture to speculate that the number of Aikidoka worldwide would certainly be in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

Dajo251 03-02-2006 07:27 PM

I heard a number a few years back at around 2 million people

emma.mason15 03-02-2006 08:19 PM

shall we count? ... ok ... im one .... mark is two .... Michael makes three .... Daniel is four ....
... this could take a while!
come back to me in a bit

koz 03-03-2006 03:09 AM

We are Legion...

Steve Mullen 03-03-2006 05:26 AM

at last count i got 2,453,876 and a tiny person who i'm classing as a half, but emma and karen kept going off to find chocolate ninja so i may have miss counted a bit :D :p ;)

Nick Simpson 03-03-2006 06:26 AM

There was a thread on this a while ago I think, someone said that every hombu aikikai shodan certificate is numbered chronologically and it there's was about 100,000. I think? I'd say 2 million is probably about right, theres like 200-300 in our org I think and about 50 people have received shodan at least with them.

emma.mason15 03-03-2006 07:43 AM

paul ... steve ... and nick ... thats five, six and seven .... whew

emma.mason15 03-03-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Steve Mullen wrote:
at last count i got 2,453,876 and a tiny person who i'm classing as a half, but emma and karen kept going off to find chocolate ninja so i may have miss counted a bit :D :p ;)

look I would have sat still for the head count ... but the kept luring me off the mat ..... its all Ulises and Bozwels and ... well ... everyone elses fault except mine! :D ;) :D

happysod 03-03-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

...Aikidoka are there worldwide
There'll only ever be between 5-10, you, your favorite sensei, their sensei and 3- 5 in your dojo/association - the rest don't count as they won't have the "true aikido".

Simbo 03-03-2006 10:46 AM

I got disappointed, I thought this was going to be a light-bulb joke :(

James Davis 03-03-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Emma Mason wrote:
look I would have sat still for the head count ... but the kept luring me off the mat ..... its all Ulises and Bozwels and ... well ... everyone elses fault except mine! :D ;) :D

Ever think of getting into politics, Emma? :D

Dajo251 03-03-2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

Steven Imboden wrote:
I got disappointed, I thought this was going to be a light-bulb joke :(

me too at first

Steve Mullen 03-04-2006 04:19 AM

How many aikidoka does it take to screw in a lightblub? 1........ but he makes the lightblub move around him

Mark Uttech 03-04-2006 08:25 AM

Aikido is currently practiced in 87 countries around the world and there are ober 1.5 million practioners, last I heard.

Mark Uttech 03-04-2006 08:27 AM

The lightbulb joke ends with the punchline:"it only takes one aikidoka, but the lightbulb has to make the first move..."

Mark Freeman 03-04-2006 09:43 AM

Thanks for the figures Mark, and thanks also for the lightbulb joke, but aikido being the art that it is the joke neccessarily must have an infinite number of punchlines. ;)

regards,
Mark

Steve Mullen 03-06-2006 03:22 AM

yeah, i heard a one about aikido sensei,

How many aikido sensei does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
One, but he just holds the lightbulb in place and the world revolves around him

Nick Simpson 03-06-2006 03:50 AM

One to do it his way, and an infinite number to come around when he's not watching and say: 'Some people screw a lightbulb in this way, now thats not 'wrong', but I like to do it this way...'

emma.mason15 03-06-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Nick Simpson wrote:

One to do it his way, and an infinite number to come around when he's not watching and say: 'Some people screw a lightbulb in this way, now thats not 'wrong', but I like to do it this way...'

lmao .... i like that

Mike Sigman 03-06-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Nick Simpson wrote:

100. 1 to screw it in and 99 to sit around and say, "We do it differently at our school".

mj 03-06-2006 04:48 PM

Different pictures with the same paint.

Aikido is done in Scotland to an (in my opinion) ridiculous level. Iwama, Ki, Aikikai, Tomiki/Shodokan, Institute of Aikido and loads of others I haven't even visited...and that's in a one hour radius of where I live. Sadly a few of them follow the old Scottish tradition of preaching against each other but there you go...comes with the territory.

We Scots like martial arts, it's practically a martial arts rainforest here :)

Do Tibetans practic Aikido? Probably don't need to.

Amelia Smith 03-06-2006 07:22 PM

As far as I know there's no aikido in Tibet. I was there (in western Sichuan, which is geographically, linguistically, and historically part of Tibet) and there were no formal active martial arts traditions in evidence. However, the people of Kham (the region of Tibet that I was in) have a reputation as fierce warriors, and I imagine they'd really enjoy aikido. I was only there for a few months, not long enough to start a dojo, but I thought about it.

And y'know, different sects of Tibetan Buddhists have been known to preach against each other, or at least engage in heated debates.

emma.mason15 03-07-2006 03:43 AM

eight ... nine ... ten .... im getting there

Mark Freeman 03-07-2006 04:02 AM

Quote:

We Scots like martial arts, it's practically a martial arts rainforest here
A martial arts rainforest, certainly gets the old imagination going. I wonder which arts thrive in the canopy and which ones prefer it down on the ground? ;)

Any that thrive on rain itself will certainly do well in Scotland :D