AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Miyako Fujitani DVD's (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9622)

Mike Fugate 01-16-2006 10:52 PM

Miyako Fujitani DVD's

I was searching the web looking up different things to study for Aikido and I came across the TenShin (Osaka) dvds from Chief Instructer Miyako Fujitani Sensei. Has anyone else on here seen these dvds or read her book? Just curious because I may purchase them and wondering if anyone else has seen them or not and what their opinion of her philosophy was. :ki:

crbateman 01-17-2006 10:25 AM

Re: Miyako Fujitani DVD's

Mike, I have the DVD's. There is no groundbreaking information there. The Aikido is competent, not spectacular. I was not aware of a book, although that may be because the book might be in Japanese. In that case, I'll catch it when there is an English translation.

Chris Li 01-17-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Clark Bateman wrote:
Mike, I have the DVD's. There is no groundbreaking information there. The Aikido is competent, not spectacular. I was not aware of a book, although that may be because the book might be in Japanese. In that case, I'll catch it when there is an English translation.

Last time I looked they were working on an English translation, but I don't know if it got completed. I read the Japanese version, it's light reading - not much about Aikido, but some interesting gossip :). The bulk of the book is about her relationship with Steven Seagal.

Best,

Chris

Mike Fugate 01-17-2006 01:58 PM

Right on man thanx. I have always been interested in seeing her Aikido, but never have had the chance to. So I may have to check it out. On the description of the DVD's it mentions how she teaches techniques not to commonlly taught in alot of modern Aikdio schools for self defense,,,,,,is that true Clark? or just like every other Aikido dvd out there that says that? :ki:

crbateman 01-17-2006 03:49 PM

Mike, I own the DVD's and I've watched them TWICE. There wasn't anything there that I have not seen before, nor anything that would make me want to watch them over and over. I think a lot of the claims as to the "special" content is hype, because they make no money if nobody buys the DVD's. Bottom line: They didn't sparkle and they didn't suck...

Chris, I'm not surprised that there is a lot of talk about Seagal, since the reasoning for writing the book is probably the same as the DVD's: to make money. Seagal is her "hook". Frankly, I think that a ranking Aikido sensei should be above bad-mouthing her ex in print, even if he might deserve it. Japanese females in particular are usually more discreet; personal relationships are just that... personal, and not to be used as cannon fodder. I haven't seen anything to indicate that a translation of the book is available, but if you discover that there is one, try and find out how I can get a copy. Thanks.

Chris Li 01-17-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Clark Bateman wrote:
I haven't seen anything to indicate that a translation of the book is available, but if you discover that there is one, try and find out how I can get a copy. Thanks.

Apparently, the book is available in PDF format on DVD from the Tenshin Dojo site.

Best,

Chris