AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supplies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Books/Videos for Beginners (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9590)

hgc31976 01-12-2006 10:04 AM

Re: Aikido3D
 
Can any I recommend any good software, books, or videos for beginners??? I just pass my 6th kyu and i want to work on my basics I practice Kokikai-Ryu Aikido

Mark Uttech 01-12-2006 10:53 AM

Re: Books/Videos for Beginners
 
An ultimate book to look for is: Aikido The Way of Harmony, by John Stevens. That was the first book i started with, more than 20 years ago, and it gave me a true foundation.

Don_Modesto 01-12-2006 03:02 PM

Re: Aikido3D
 
Quote:

Harry Carrington wrote:
Can any I recommend any good software, books, or videos for beginners??? I just pass my 6th kyu and i want to work on my basics I practice Kokikai-Ryu Aikido

Conventional wisdom: Styles differ, ask your teacher. Good luck.

crbateman 01-13-2006 09:03 AM

Re: Books/Videos for Beginners
 
Asking your instructor is good advice (thanks, Don). That said, you might also look at a few books on the library or bookstore shelves to see what might seem familiar to your style. Books are really not the way to learn techniques (particularly since naming conventions vary widely) but they are a good way to get in touch with the thinking and history of Aikido and some of its more influential players, as well as getting to know the differences and similarities between styles (which maybe you should wait a while before attempting). Good books, balanced in content and objectivity, include those by Stanley Pranin, John Stevens, Phong Thong Dang and Mitsugi Saotome. Although sometimes a little more style-specific, it's also a good idea to read what you can by Morihiro Saito, Gozo Shioda, Koichi Tohei, Gaku Homma and any of the Ueshiba family. Have fun, but don't sacrifice mat time for your reading.

Mark Freeman 01-20-2006 10:26 AM

Re: Books/Videos for Beginners
 
Quote:

Clark Bateman wrote:
Have fun, but don't sacrifice mat time for your reading.

The best advice so far!

In the early days, books that deal with the history and philosophy of aikido are probably best. Reading Aikido in Daily Life by Koichi Tohei started me on my aikido journey, but I think " The Spirit of Aikido" by K Ueshiba was a great little book for giving a really good overall picture.

Good luck

Mark

Mark Uttech 01-21-2006 07:15 AM

Re: Books/Videos for Beginners
 
'The Spirit of Aikido" taught me one great thing: "Don't buddy up to sensei."

Mark Freeman 01-21-2006 08:40 AM

Re: Books/Videos for Beginners
 
Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:
'The Spirit of Aikido" taught me one great thing: "Don't buddy up to sensei."

Hi Mark, I'm not really sure what that means, could you expand a little, thanks.

Mark

Mark Uttech 01-21-2006 09:40 AM

Re: Books/Videos for Beginners
 
I guess what I meant to say, is that reading the book "The Spirit of Aikido" , I distinctly remember reading a passage that advised: "don't buddy up to sensei." And so I never did. I never knew much at all about my sensei's personal life, I looked to them to simply teach me aikido. I think the arrangement worked very well. Even after 20+ years, our relationship is very cordial. Whenever we see one another, we bow. Sometimes we make small talk, sometimes we don't say anything.

Mark Freeman 01-21-2006 11:16 AM

Re: Books/Videos for Beginners
 
Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:
I guess what I meant to say, is that reading the book "The Spirit of Aikido" , I distinctly remember reading a passage that advised: "don't buddy up to sensei." And so I never did. I never knew much at all about my sensei's personal life, I looked to them to simply teach me aikido. I think the arrangement worked very well. Even after 20+ years, our relationship is very cordial. Whenever we see one another, we bow. Sometimes we make small talk, sometimes we don't say anything.

Thanks for the clarification Mark. The student teacher relationship in aikido is / can be a 'special' relationship in it's own right, so the advice is good. I have seen some pretty messy stuff going on when relationships get in the way of practice ( possibly the subject of a new thread?? I'm sure it must have been discussed before).

Anyway, cheers, :)

Mark


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.