AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hombu Dojo Weblog (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9586)

6th Kyu For Life 01-11-2006 12:12 AM

Hombu Dojo Weblog

Hello Everybody-

I'd like to invite you all to read my weblog about training and living in Tokyo for this January. Since it is only temporary, I have put it on Blogger, rather than AikiWeb. The website is http://aikidointokyo.blogspot.com.

I plan to update it daily, since keeping a journal is part of a school project that has allowed me to go to Japan this month. For background, I am a junior at Oberlin College, and a third kyu at Oberlin Aikikai, an ASU dojo. My major is East Asian Studies, with a minor (probably) in Religion. I'm also a musician, of the electronic variety, and I am learning Japanese. I've been to Japan twice before on trips with my high school and college.

I hope you enjoy it, please feel free to post comments here or on the blog.

Peace,
Tom Newhall

Jory Boling 01-11-2006 08:53 AM

Re: Hombu Dojo Weblog

thanks for the window. i'm about to make the move and one thing i'm curious about is dropping into hombu some time.

justin 01-11-2006 09:25 AM

i agree many thanks for sharing this with us i look forward to reading more as it develops

odudog 01-12-2006 01:07 PM

Hi Tom, one of my current instructors also practiced at the Oberlin dojo. Maybe your Sensei might remember Kevin Roland.

6th Kyu For Life 01-13-2006 12:56 AM

I'll ask him about it when I return. It's always cool to hear about alums that are still training. What year did he graduate?

Peace,
Tom Newhall

batemanb 01-13-2006 07:33 AM

Tom,

You better stop posting on here and get back to blogging, that's 4 days of daily updates missing mate :D.

6th Kyu For Life 01-16-2006 07:51 AM

Yeah, it's up to date now, finally.
Thanks for reading.

Peace,
Tom Newhall

Lan Powers 01-22-2006 09:44 PM

nice blog, interested in reading further into your time training in hombu....ummm, so are you going to post again? ;)) (about a week non-posted)
Looking forward to it!
Lan

AlexisB 01-23-2006 06:23 AM

Nice Blog. Keep it up!!!

rulemaker 01-23-2006 09:06 AM

I really enjoyed reading your blog. keep it up!

Chad Scott 01-24-2006 01:14 AM

Lan,

Just FYI, here is my blog on training at Aikikai Hombu: http://www.tokyoaikido.blogspot.com. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Thanks,

Chad

PeterR 01-24-2006 01:24 AM

I'm waiting for the entry of the 22nd with baited breath.

6th Kyu For Life 01-24-2006 07:10 AM

Sorry, more stuff is coming.

I just took a trip south to visit some friends, and I wasn't able to post anything during that time. I'm leaving Japan tomorrow, so I've got only a few entries left. I'll probably continue writing entries up until the end of the seminar with Mary Heiny Sensei at our dojo this weekend. If you're in Ohio, we'd love for you to attend...
I'm glad you enjoy my weblog. Thank you all for reading.

Peace,
Tom Newhall

Lan Powers 01-29-2006 12:46 PM

Thanks for sharing
Lan

PeterR 01-29-2006 08:38 PM

Glad you enjoyed your visit to us. Cheers

CatSienna 01-29-2006 11:14 PM

It's been a very interesting read so far. Probably the best blog I've seen on aikido. Thanks for writing!

I have the same problem with you on irimi nage as uke as in your "Somebody's Blood" entry. There was shodan level guy in my dojo who actually tried to show me how to do ukemi so i could cope better. Basically he basically dropped very quickly to his knees in a circular movement when nage starts turning but in a way that he slid slightly and was able to get back up v quickly and then of course nage goes in again to complete the move.

Sorry I can't explain it very well. I can't yet do it as I haven't had a chance to try it out yet...I need to ask him to drill me in it.

Chad Scott 01-30-2006 07:43 AM

Sharon,

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it.

Chad

kokyu 01-30-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Chad Scott wrote:
Sharon,

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it.

Chad

Having returned from Tokyo in mid 2004, reading your blog brings back many fond memories of Hombu Dojo. I think we might even have trained together in Kuribayashi Sensei and Masuda Sensei's classes (were you the one who passed nikyu in 2004?) Really wishing I could go back...

Good luck!

Chad Scott 01-31-2006 11:32 PM

Soon-Kian,

Sorry, that wasn't me. I just got yonkyu in Sept. 2005.

kokyu 02-01-2006 06:34 AM

Quote:

Chad Scott wrote:
Soon-Kian,

Sorry, that wasn't me. I just got yonkyu in Sept. 2005.

Thanks Chad. I missed the date on your photo and was looking at January 2003.

Anyway, I'm definitely bookmarking your blog :p