AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What the heck is Aikido??? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8849)

aikiSteve 09-05-2005 12:10 PM

What the heck is Aikido???

Everytime I try and explain what Aikido is to someone that knows nothing about it, i find i struggle with the definition. So i go into this long winded explanation that starts out great about using an attackers force... then i talk about throwing people around and ... wrist locks ... how it's a different philosophy from say karate and oh yeah it's lots of fun!

Uggh, i wish there was a simple definition of Aikido. Has anyone figured out a good way to explain Aikido to someone that knows nothing about it?

Steve

justin 09-05-2005 12:22 PM

Re: What the heck is Aikido???

a martial art i normaly explain it as and let people draw there views, can see everyone thinking you dont look nothing like bruce lee ?? if someone is very intrested then i explain its basics.

markwalsh 09-05-2005 12:39 PM

This [clench fist in front of their face then kiss their cheek]

"The one with the sticks" (people are gona bloody say it anyway.

"Like Ikea but with less Swedish furniture and more martial arts"

"Give me your wrist..."

Ah, civilians, aren't they sweet :)

Mark Uttech 09-05-2005 01:21 PM

The best way is to invite people to watch a class.

Jim ashby 09-05-2005 01:47 PM

Origami with people.

p00kiethebear 09-05-2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

James Ashby wrote:
Origami with people.

Wouldn't that be Orihito? :hypno:

Huker 09-05-2005 02:52 PM

Hurting people using friendship.

aikiSteve 09-05-2005 06:59 PM

Quote:

James Ashby wrote:
Origami with people.

This my favorite so far! :p

Steve

aikigirl10 09-05-2005 07:33 PM

a non competetive martial art that combines joint locks, pins and throwing , that pretty much sums it up

ikkitosennomusha 09-05-2005 07:52 PM

Quote:

James Ashby wrote:
Origami with people.

Yes, this was hilarious!

mathewjgano 09-06-2005 01:03 AM

I make it a point to say "in a nut-shell" and then simply translate "ai" "ki" and "do." It's the study of encountering energy/force(s) and working with them so, ideally, everyone wins. And then i say there's many interpreations of what Aikido is and that they should check out several dojo's to see how this is true.
However, from now on I'm going with origami with people...but where you try not to leave any permanent creases. Sorry, it's late and my funny bone is already sleeping :crazy: :freaky:

pezalinski 09-06-2005 03:33 PM

Aikido: The art of using gravity for hitting people with planets.

Jiawei 09-06-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Steve Nelson wrote:
Everytime I try and explain what Aikido is to someone that knows nothing about it, i find i struggle with the definition. So i go into this long winded explanation that starts out great about using an attackers force... then i talk about throwing people around and ... wrist locks ... how it's a different philosophy from say karate and oh yeah it's lots of fun!

Uggh, i wish there was a simple definition of Aikido. Has anyone figured out a good way to explain Aikido to someone that knows nothing about it?

Steve

Hi, there's an article online by yes...Aikido Online. Interview with first and 2nd doshu where they explain what Aikido is. Hope this helps.

Very broadly, a simple definition without going deep into the spiritual stuff like Ki: A MA that technically gives you the option of defending yourself without hurting the attacker (too badly). It is also a MA that advocates peace and thus the design of the techniques. No brute force involved, just physics. (And then you could demonstrate)

SeiserL 09-06-2005 09:53 PM

The art of blending and taking balance.

Tim Ruijs 09-07-2005 07:02 AM

What is Aikido?
The joy of an attacker stumbling to the ground without [him] knowing what happened :D and be able to repeat it :cool:

:sorry: Seriously now
Last night someone actually asked me this very question . A mother wanted some info on Aikido for her 11 year old son to get an idea what Aikido is and how it differs from other 'fighting sports' like taekwondo, karate and judo.

Aikido allows you to improve your posture, sense of distance and timing and fluent movement. Without competition or conflict one learns the delegate balance between doing/giving in too much and too little. It will affect your whole being when practiced with good mindset.

The answer to what Aikido is really depends on who's asking the question (and your understanding of Aikido).

Shipley 09-07-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

Peter Zalinski wrote:

I'm sticking with this one. That's hilarious.

Paul

bogglefreak20 09-07-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Tim Ruijs wrote:
The answer to what Aikido is really depends on who's asking the question (and your understanding of Aikido).

I agree completely. My experience with trying to explain Ki Aikido reflect this thought. I try to answer a PERSON not a QUESTION. So I show "the mighty unbendable arm" to anyone larger and stronger than me. To anyone smaller than me - I try to get them to make an unbendable arm and perhaps get an idea of some hidden potentials of their own. And so on. I always invite them to trainings so they can get confused all over again. ;)

Don_Modesto 09-07-2005 07:58 PM

Martial art adapted to the project of giving practitioners the EXPERIENCE (i.e., sans theories, words, or concepts) of reconciliation.

odudog 09-08-2005 09:32 AM

My definition is: a martial art based on sword warfare slightly modified at times to feel natural when done empty handed. I came up with this recenlty for I asked myself this same question. I will use this definition when I start to teach.

Simbo 09-08-2005 09:47 AM

From Aikidofaq.com
"Aikido: The way of blending energy The Aikidoka (one who practices Aikido) attempts to become one with the mat by being thrown into it repeatedly in the hope that s/he will merge with the mat. This usually doesn't happen, so the process must be repeated. Frequently."

Or how my boss described in seeing us in my school's Recreation Center "Judo in skirts"

But I've ran into the same problem of just adding a little more and more and ending up giving a speech that could fill an entire demo. But simply I'd have to go with...
"A 'softer' martial art that is almost purely self-defensive that trys to keep the attacker from harming yourself or himself" oh yeah and "It does this by using pins and locks that are applied after a throw of some sort" and "We also do some weapons work using a wooden sword, staff and knife, but oh yeah, we also do techniques that work on defending against those, but the main focus is on the open hand techniques, oh yeah and you can also use the principles of entering, blending and redirecting to apply to non-physical altercations too, but I'm not too familiar with that, oh yeah and...." oops I did it again

BC 09-08-2005 11:50 AM

"Puttin' the harm back in harmony!"

or

"Dancing and rolling around on the ground with people in pajamas and skirts."

aikijoel 09-08-2005 05:22 PM

I think its the art of peace. Because if the attacker dont stop attacking they will eventually R.I.P. (rest in peace) :D

dyffcult 09-09-2005 12:11 AM

Hrrmmmm ... What is aikido?

Generally, I am not asked what aikido is. More often, after the mention of practicing a martial art, I am asked whether I can kick someone's ass.

I respond, "Nope, I can't kick your ass. However, I can keep you from kicking mine or anyone elses."

After a few awkward moments followed by lots of questions, I explain that, "Aikido is a defensive martial art. The intent is not to harm but heal. However, given the degree of aggression, I can control an attacker, gently harm and then control an attacker, or break the bones of an attacker. The choice is up to my attacker. My only goal is to walk away safe with those I defend safe and my opponent hurt to the least of my ability."

Seems to work for me.

Brenda

iHeretic 09-17-2005 01:57 PM

Quote:

Peter Zalinski wrote:

I'd re-write that only slightly... The art of looking cool and unruffled while using gravity to hit people with planets. :D

Lee Mulgrew 09-18-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Brenda Allen wrote:

I respond, "Nope, I can't kick your ass. However, I can keep you from kicking mine or anyone elses."

After a few awkward moments followed by lots of questions, I explain that, "Aikido is a defensive martial art. The intent is not to harm but heal. However, given the degree of aggression, I can control an attacker, gently harm and then control an attacker, or break the bones of an attacker. The choice is up to my attacker. My only goal is to walk away safe with those I defend safe and my opponent hurt to the least of my ability."

Seems to work for me.

Brenda

Great description! True and confusing, just like Aikido! John Emmerson Sensei has asked us this question many times and I think of all the answers i have heard, this one suits it best; apart from "putting the harm back in harmony!" (Robert Cronin).

Can't really add anything other than that, it's pretty spot on! ;)