AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   To The Journey... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8568)

lewpearson 07-20-2005 07:02 PM

To The Journey...

Hello Everyone:
I'm 50 years old and started Aikido 2 yrs ago. I'm 6th Kyu and, hopefully, if asked, will be taking 5th Kyu test in a month or so. 13 months into training I had a rotator cuff tear (not entirely due to training)...Supra Spinatus 90% tear, cartilage tear, bone spurs, acromium reshaping...and lot's of rehab. That was was 11/04. I was able to start back in early April after rehab, strength and stretching. During that whole time, 8 weeks of being in a sling, gradually adding more strength, I could think of nothing but Aikido. Though I was restricted (even from walking briskly while in a sling), I took this opportunity to work on my seiza. I've had knee surgeries and it's difficult to make the back end touch the heels. I gradually worked from 5 minutes in seiza to 25 minutes. Mind over matter. Though there was pain involved, mostly from lack of circulation, I looked forward to this routine everyday after work. I would take several books on Aikido and read them until the physical discomfort made me concentrate on my breathing.

Before going back to the dojo I wanted to make sure that I could take ukemi, thus, living in Florida, I "rolled" across the St. Augustine grass in the back yard. Wonderful! I still do it when time permits. Stretching, ukemi, exercises for movement, 5th Kyu kata and weapons, all in the late afternoon sun.

I do not have previous martial experience. I knew philosophically the tenets of Aikido and thought I would try it out. The first time I entered the dojo I joined. The ranking sempai, a 2nd kyu, whispered, "Do get frustrated. It will take you a year just to learn to walk right". He was right. I'm still learning to "walk" and will continue to learn. I have a background in endurance sports. I know about time on the water, time on the bike, time on the road, now, time on the mat. I am amazed, enthralled, and hooked. I used to long for the "runners high". I get this in training and more. A connectedness. In my relatively short experience, I never tire of the repetition of the most elemental fundamentals. Obviously, I could go on.

Hello all...hope everybody is doing well on their journey...

:ai: :ki: :do:

Nick P. 07-20-2005 07:38 PM

Re: To The Journey...

Welcome to AikiWeb, and to the beginning of your journey.

Janet Rosen 07-20-2005 11:02 PM

Welcome, Lew, from another middleaged, damaged student :-)

maikerus 07-21-2005 01:03 AM

Lew...an excellent introduction. Thank-you for it and I echo your toast..."To The Journey" :)

--Michael

akiy 07-21-2005 09:07 AM

Hi Lew,

Thank you for your nice introduction and welcome to AikiWeb!

-- Jun

LinSuHill 07-21-2005 11:07 PM

Hi, Lew,
Lots of info in your introduction! I'm also a 6th kyu, 52 years old, and struggling on sitting seiza. Doing ukemi is still beyond me. Your daily sessions of reading while sitting seiza sounds like just the ticket for me. Thanks for the idea.
Good luck on your progress. I'll look forward to hearing more from you.