AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Training hard then soft. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83)

Chocolateuke 07-01-2000 09:12 PM

Today I had a pretty hard workout. it was like 93degres c and i was thrown by almost everyone in the class except 1 person. we had work out befor and after the stuff and I was thrown the most. by the end of class i was doped and had some last exersices. it is okay to lag a little to gain some breath? I just felt like laying down on the mat for ever and ever i did not or i might get hit with a jo ( not hard but it hurts at the moment.) so is it okay to back of a little or a lot to get back in good old normal fresh self?

Nick 07-02-2000 08:41 AM

Hey-

At my dojo, if you need to stop, bow out, get some water, and take all the time you need. However, stupid as I am, I rarely take this opportunity unless a yudansha calls a water break. However, during something like ryo-kata randori, when I'm whipped, I'll stand in the back and catch my breath, but only as much breath as it takes to charge at them and roll again.

In conclusion- push yourself, but not too far...

-Nick

janet 07-02-2000 10:26 PM

Hi.
I think that we should respect etiquette and should be pushing ourselves in training; however, training responsibly also means maintaining health so that you can continue to train the next day, so that you can train without increasing the risk of hurting yourself or your partners.
With that in mind, only you can judge when and if it is time to take a short break.

When I started in aikido, I could not participate in a one hour class. I would have to sit quietly on the edge of the mat for 5 minutes at least twice a class because my cardiovascular fitness just wasn't up to par yet.

Four yrs later, at times I have to sit down during a long day of training (like at a seminar) if I just feel like I'm too tired to be safe--quite literally, that I will have a stupid and unneccesary accident like hitting my head on the mat during a roll or fall, due to fatigue.

And of course now that I am nursing a knee injury, I sit out any technique that would be unsafe or an aggravation.

Protocol is looser or stricter from dojo to dojo.

Where I train, if I am going to sit out a technique, I observe sensei's demo, then smile and shake my head "no" to prospective partners, and continue sitting quietly at the side of the mat. When sensei comes over to inquire he is satisfied if I just murmer my brief explanation. If it arises that I really need to take a break in the middle of practicing....well, if its just for a minute I use the "adjusting my dogi" strategy of bowing to my partner and sloooowly walking to the edge of the mat while I obviously fidget with obi, gi, hakama, etc, all the time doing slow deep breathing to recover my energy, then slooowly turn back, bow to my partner, walk back to the middle of the mat....if I really really need a break, I'll excuse myself from my partner with a bow, and sit at the edge of the mat.

janet

akiy 07-03-2000 01:01 AM

I don't think I've ever been to a dojo that doesn't allow students to take care of themselves in getting water or sitting out during a technique. If I did encounter such a place, I don't think I would want to train there...

-- Jun

Pete 07-03-2000 06:09 AM

In my Dojo it is basically 'at your own pace' that is emphasised for beginners. Sensei is very firm that we are not to do more than our bodies will allow us to, which for me, helps a lot!! I can manage a whole two hour class now, but a 5 hour weekender I have to sit out about half way through to let my energy levels recoup somewhat!! And being a recently diagnosed diabetic, I listen a lot more to my body!!!

Pete

Nick 07-03-2000 09:35 AM

on the subject of safety-

I couldn't agree more. If you get too tired, something like a munetsuki or yokomenuchi could get dangerous....

-Nick