AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Training from seiza vs sitting (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7497)

MM 02-05-2005 06:46 PM

Training from seiza vs sitting

Hello,
Lately I've been thinking about Aikido and training while in seiza, shikko, etc. Sitting in seiza and defending oneself seems to be more difficult than standing. And seiza has a long history in Japan. Training to defend and attack from seiza has a long history in the martial arts.
Now on to my question. We (I'm in the U.S.) don't use seiza for the most part. But what we do use are chairs, benches, and various seats. I was just wondering if Aikido should stay static and keep training in the old way or should Aikido adapt and change and incorporate training from sitting? I'm not saying to drop seiza because I do believe it is great training, but I wondered what other people thought about adding some training in Aikido schools where tori is sitting in some form?

Thanks,
Mark

malsmith 02-05-2005 08:13 PM

Re: Training from seiza vs sitting

I personally havent done much training from seiza or sitting.... but i think it would be important to keep tradition and train in seiza, and also learn from an american way of sitting on a bench

seank 02-05-2005 08:33 PM

Hi Mark,
I believe for the most part that seiza (or suwari waza) technique is taught to assist in learning to move through your hips, not through your legs, giving you a more balanced approach when applying a technique.

I find that often you can see the particular details of a technique better in suwari waza as you are forced to actually think through your movements, rather than relying on years of experience walking on your feet.

Quote:

I was just wondering if Aikido should stay static and keep training in the old way or should Aikido adapt and change and incorporate training from sitting?
As an interesting exercise, try a technique from a seated position; I think you will be surprised at how similar to hanmi han tachi technique it feels. From what I understand of hanmi han tachi, it is designed to teach you the practicality of performing technique whilst seated or in a lowered position, or to defend against a person that is taller and/or heavier than you.

Whilst sitting and kneeling are really two quite different positions, I think that suwari waza training is a good preparation exercise for seated attacks, and also benefits your normal waza...

Cheers.

Bronson 02-05-2005 11:00 PM

Quote:

Sean Kelleher wrote:
I believe for the most part that seiza (or suwari waza) technique is taught to assist in learning to move through your hips, not through your legs, giving you a more balanced approach when applying a technique.

I think the real reason it's used is to allow people in an overcrowded dojo to train ;)

We do chair training. It's not all that different really...same stuff just from a different position.

Bronson