AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Nice Jiyu waza (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7053)

xuzen 12-01-2004 09:12 PM

Nice Jiyu waza

Dear practitioners,

Check the link below for some nice jiyu waza.

http://www.aikido.ca/burnaby/images/RobMust.wmv

Boon.

xuzen 12-01-2004 09:14 PM

Re: Nice Jiyu waza

Hi again,

The two players are Sensei Robert Mustard and Little Nick of "Angry White Pyjamas" fame. Enjoy.

Boon.

Jordan Steele 12-03-2004 07:59 AM

I live in Victoria and train in Aikikai but our sensei invited Yoshinkan Mustard Sensei from Burnaby to do a seminar about a year ago. He is a very impressive practitioner of Aikido and is very powerful. He trained the Tokyo Riot Police and several military units in Canada and abroad. HIs Aikido works.

siwilson 12-03-2004 08:53 AM

Quote:

Jordan Steele wrote:
I live in Victoria and train in Aikikai but our sensei invited Yoshinkan Mustard Sensei from Burnaby to do a seminar about a year ago. He is a very impressive practitioner of Aikido and is very powerful. He trained the Tokyo Riot Police and several military units in Canada and abroad. HIs Aikido works.

Of course. It's Yoshinkan!

Jordan Steele 12-03-2004 12:29 PM

Please, don't be too humble. Let me provide a version of my humbleness. Although Mustard Sensei was very impressive, his Aikido is still second best in my books. My Aikikai sensei rocks and could clean out an entire dojo of Yoshikaners. (Note: This message was sent with dry sarcasm. I respect the entire Aikido community and realize my comment is an ignorant and unwarranted display of biased negative input.)

siwilson 12-03-2004 12:52 PM

Quote:

Jordan Steele wrote:
My Aikikai sensei rocks and could clean out an entire dojo of Yoshikaners.

Yeah, I have seen Yoshinkan Aikidoka walk out of a dojo in disgust at the Never Never Land techniques of some others, so that statement may be true!

As for your Sensei rocking, does he suffer from the same problem as the guy in "The Cube"?

:freaky:

Quote:

Jordan Steele wrote:
(Note: This message was sent with dry sarcasm. I respect the entire Aikido community and realize my comment is an ignorant and unwarranted display of biased negative input.)

Note: This message was sent with dry sarcasm. I respect the entire Aikido community and realize my comment is NOT an ignorant OR an unwarranted display of biased negative input. Been aroung long enough! :rolleyes:

Dominic Toupin 12-03-2004 03:27 PM

It is that aikido that Henry Ellis refer as a dance ?

siwilson 12-03-2004 03:39 PM

Quote:

Dominic Toupin wrote:
It is that aikido that Henry Ellis refer as a dance ?

NO!

Mr Ellis has his opinion, but mine does not match!!!!!

Lan Powers 12-03-2004 05:04 PM

Very impressive ukemi as well!
Lan

xuzen 12-03-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Si Wilson wrote:
Of course. It's Yoshinkan!

Wrong wrong wrong SiWilson... It's YoshiOrcs and Grand Chief Orc Mustard makes it look so easy. Hail to the Grand Chief.

Boon.

maikerus 12-03-2004 10:39 PM

Quote:

Jordan Steele wrote:

Oh yeah. It works. Have no doubt.

He's also the best teacher of anything I have ever had the privilege of learning from.

--Michael

Jordan Steele 12-04-2004 04:05 PM

Yoshinkan is good, dont' get me wrong but Aikikai is no dance, especially when my teacher was a kensusei under Chiba sensei for five years. USAF-WR rules.

siwilson 12-04-2004 04:41 PM

Some Aikikai is good, dont' get me wrong but Yoshinkan is definitely no dance, especially when my teacher was a Eddy Stratton sensei and now Garry Masters Sensei. Yoshinkan rules!

Michael Young 12-04-2004 04:46 PM

MY SENSEI CAN BEAT UP YOUR SENSEI NANYNANYBOOBOO :confused:

siwilson 12-04-2004 04:51 PM

I DOUBT IT!!! :yuck: :)

MitchMZ 12-04-2004 05:03 PM

Personally, all Aikido styles I've come across are very similar and very powerful...in the end. I train with practicality in mind...and I'm at a USAF affiliated dojo. It all depends on how you train...but, I'm also a mixed martial artist.

Pauliina Lievonen 12-04-2004 06:04 PM

It's funny, my first thought when I saw the clip was "Ohmygod, I've been doing Yoshinkan aikido all this time!" :D Now I don't know how to classify myself anymore - a thuggish sort of an elf?

kvaak
Pauliina

Dazzler 12-06-2004 06:12 AM

Just goes to show there is only aikido.

Yoshinkan,aikika,iwama ryu et al are just different styles of teaching aikido.

If they are different...then they are something else.

May be good something else but its either aikido or it isn't.

There now....group hug anyone?

maikerus 12-06-2004 06:55 PM

I've heard a couple of people (including some of my students) say that in the video Robert Sensei looks too relaxed and that it looks like Nick is throwing himself.

I disagree (mainly because I've been his uke and I flinched at some of the throws on the video), but it does bring up the point (as someone else mentioned to me) that it is very hard to judge someone's Aikido from video and also to learn from video. It might also help explain the airy-fairy reputation Aikido has from demos.

Any comments?

--Michael

Aristeia 12-06-2004 07:59 PM

I agree. My initial thought in looking at the video is alot of the techniques don't look like their "on". It looks like the final throw isn't being completed and that uke is just going. And then there's a couple of the dropping kokyu nage which look just supurb. But if it wasn't for Mustard's reputation I would be raising eybrows at some of the stuff.
But having said all of that, I've seen enough aikido performed before my eyes that I thought was unrealistic until I got my turn at being uke to know that it is wise to reserve judgement until you can feel it for yourself. I mean hell, some of the footage of O'sensei looks that way as well, unfortunately I'll never get the opportunity to feel it.

Mark Balogh 12-08-2004 07:04 AM

Quote:

Jordan Steele wrote:
My Aikikai sensei rocks

This is an interesting point that I don't often see made here because the common outsider view of Aikikai is that it is "fairy stuff". :D

In my experience, a certain element of the Aikikai are red hot, the best IMO being some soft stylists who are EXTREMELY MARTIAL. I'm not just talking about high grade instructors, although when discussing Shihans, Nishio Sensei is a good example of what I mean. ;)

So in short, I concure... Aikikai Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

siwilson 12-08-2004 03:21 PM

Errr....

Yoshinkan Rocks Harder!

Yah Boo!

:p ;) :D :) :freaky:

Bronson 12-08-2004 08:49 PM

Quote:

Si Wilson wrote:
Yoshinkan Rocks Harder!

Nah, YoshiOrcs just have harder rocks in their heads :D

Bronson

Rocky Izumi 12-08-2004 10:18 PM

Oh yeah, well I am the Rock on the rock in this rocking chair. Now, where did I put my cane? Damned these bifocals!

There are more differences between teachers within a single style than there are differences between different styles, or even different arts. There are more differences in teaching style within a single style than there are differences in teaching style between different styles, or even different arts.

Repent all ye Aiki-heretics! Fifty more suwari-waza imiri tenkan in your bare knees on that newly varnished hardwood floor! A hundred more kotegaeshi tobi-ukemi on yourself on to the concrete.

Okay, I'm not that penitent. You can skip the newly varnished hardwood floor and the concrete. Those were a bit of an exaggeration.

Rock
The Aging Aiki-Penitent

maikerus 12-08-2004 10:59 PM

Quote:

Bronson Diffin wrote:
Nah, YoshiOrcs just have harder rocks in their heads :D

Bronson

Whatever works :)

--Michael :cool: