AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   "No Ego in Aikido" News Article (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6718)

akiy 10-19-2004 05:44 PM

"No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
News article on the club at University of Texas at Arlington:

http://www.theshorthorn.com/archive/...101904-02.html

-- Jun

maikerus 10-20-2004 02:11 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Hmm...

"Quintans said no competitions are held because it is not a combative art"

I always thought it was because it was too dangerous and anytime you had competition you had to have rules so that the loser would live to compete again.

Otherwise, it sounds like they like what they're doing. And its good for them. The article doesn't represent Aikido the way I like to think of it though. However, considering we just went through a thread of how the media might hack what is actually said...who knows...

--Michael

batemanb 10-20-2004 02:38 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
37 students after 5 weeks is pretty good. I wish my dojo had that many students after such a short time.

Rgds

Bryan

Jordan Steele 10-20-2004 08:35 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
I only read about 3/4 of that article and am seriously doubting the knowledge and understanding of the person that wrote it and the people that supplied him with information. First of all, Aikido's techniques do not originate from the Korean Tae Kwon Do and its resemblance to Judo is mimimal. Secondly Aikido is or can be one the most combat effective arts seeing as its techniques came from the oldest form of unarmed samurai combat...Jujitsu. Also, it has been my experience that Aikidoists, whether they admit it or not have exceptionally large egos, myself included but we have an ability of disguising it by being humble and modest. Aikido is not a sport (except for Tomiki...and even that is borderline). I imagine that dojo trains with a much different attitude than it should to get to the heart of Aikido, but I am totally appauled at the false statements and lack of valid information.

SeiserL 10-20-2004 09:07 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
"No ego in Aikido"? IMHO, the article contains some inaccuracies. While "no ego" may be our goal, most of us are somewhere on the journey in that direction. I wish them well.

Dazzler 10-20-2004 10:01 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

Jordan Steele wrote:
I only read about 3/4 of that article and am seriously doubting the knowledge and understanding of the person that wrote it and the people that supplied him with information.

I think they have a bit to learn too, but give credit where credits due, they are promoting aikido and its ideology to the best of their knowledge, given time their knowlege will grow.

Rather than criticise them I say good luck to 'em!

Keep training!

D

L. Camejo 10-20-2004 10:47 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

...incorporates techniques from other martial arts such as Tae Kwon Do and judo.
Was I the only one who felt a twist in my stomach when they read this line? I'm sorry but it makes Aikido sound like some sort of TaeKwonJudo mish mash. A bit of incorrect information here.

The "Competition nurtures ego" line is another interesting one, since I think any of us who have taken part in competition or practice the training method may know exactly how seriously humbling it is when your pretty little kata form goes to crap when you have someone else there trying to do the same to you and is refusing to fall. I think competition and the training method used is one of the best ways to demolish an overactive Aiki-ego.:)

Either way I hope things work out nicely for them. University training in Aikido tends to have an atmosphere all it's own and can be a lot of fun.

LC:ai::ki:

PeterR 10-20-2004 08:03 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

Michael Stuempel wrote:
However, considering we just went through a thread of how the media might hack what is actually said...who knows...

Just wait Michael, just wait. :D

Zato Ichi 10-20-2004 08:20 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
While the TKD thing was totally off base, at least drawing the connection with judo had some merit: both were derived from jujutsu styles (in judo's case, more than one) and have many very similar concepts, and there is some overlap with nagewaza (i.e. maeotoshi, sumiotoshi, hikiotoshi). Of course, Tomiki had the idea that aikido and judo were the same budo, just at different distances.

Quote:

Jordan Steele wrote:
Aikido is not a sport (except for Tomiki...and even that is borderline).

Please tell me Jordan, as I'm dying to know: how is Tomiki aikido a sport? Is this based solely on the type of randori we do? Is it the aikicheerleaders?

Wait a minute... that's not a bad idea! ;)

Bronson 10-20-2004 08:29 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

R. Haruo Hori wrote:
Is it the aikicheerleaders?

Ooooh, with short little hakama ;) :drool:

Bronson

L. Camejo 10-20-2004 08:31 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Hey Hori-san,

Man, you just hit on my concept to increase the popularity of Shodokan Aikido on a global scale and take over the Aikido world. Aiki cheerleaders.:D

Did anyone realise that in the last Olympics the Women's basketball matches that had the most viewers were the one's with the Brazilian team? I wonder why? Could it be the uniforms???:p

So... Hori-san since you're at Shodokan Honbu can you toss this idea to Nariyama Shihan and get his views? You can tell him Peter thought of it.:p :)

LC:ai::ki:

PeterR 10-20-2004 09:02 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

Larry Camejo wrote:
So... Hori-san since you're at Shodokan Honbu can you toss this idea to Nariyama Shihan and get his views? You can tell him Peter thought of it.:p :)

Aikiweb members will realize that Larry is way over in Trinidad. Nice and safe. :grr:

Sport? Well not a view held at Honbu but I have heard certain Tomiki groups abroad who see it primarily as such. Personally I think they miss the point but each his own.

Cheerleaders and extra short hakama? Hmmm. We'ld have to do something about the dogi pants. I mean it's silly seeing the cuffs showing through a full length version. Besides, I think the full length hakama worn right, by the right woman, is gorgeous.

jk 10-20-2004 10:44 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
OK Shodokan folks, put your money where your mouth is. The peanut gallery is expecting pics of you guys in your extra-short hakama, waving your pom-poms and other appurtenances. No dogi pants, so remember to shave your legs.

maikerus 10-20-2004 10:57 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
The only problem with AikiCheerleaders is that they know all this self-defense stuff and if you even, just for a moment, slip up and say something that might be even a little misconstrued as something that you might possibly should not have said then --- Wham! -- Game over.

:dead:

:D

PeterR 10-21-2004 02:29 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Michael Stuempel wrote:
The only problem with AikiCheerleaders is that they know all this self-defense stuff and if you even, just for a moment, slip up and say something that might be even a little misconstrued as something that you might possibly should not have said then --- Wham! -- Game over.

The boys were only trying to be gentlemen.

maikerus 10-21-2004 03:29 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Beautiful Peter. Beautiful. Thanks for that <grin>

cheers,

--Michael

gasman 10-21-2004 04:33 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

Larry Camejo wrote:
Was I the only one who felt a twist in my stomach when they read this line? I'm sorry but it makes Aikido sound like some sort of TaeKwonJudo mish mash. A bit of incorrect information here.

Reporters seem to have the same motto around the globe:
"To think before you write is like wiping your bottom before you take a dump".

They all deserve a good spanking. Oslo's main newspaper did an article on various martial arts and managed to write that "Aikido was more religious than other martial arts". How the hell are we supposed to recruit when people think we're a sectarian bunch of nutters?

Apart from that, I think the article gave a good impression of our favourite art.

Michael Cardwell 10-21-2004 05:58 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Hmmm...aikicheerleaders. I like it, but forget the pom-poms, fans would be better. Now the only question is how would we train with such a big distraction around?

maikerus 10-21-2004 06:15 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

Michael Cardwell wrote:
Hmmm...aikicheerleaders. I like it, but forget the pom-poms, fans would be better. Now the only question is how would we train with such a big distraction around?

That's *part* of the training. It'll raise our Aikido to fabulous new heights!

Bronson 10-21-2004 09:57 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

Michael Stuempel wrote:
It'll raise our Aikido to fabulous new heights!

Our "aikido" huh? Well if that's what you want to call it :D

Bronson

Zato Ichi 10-21-2004 07:19 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

Larry Camejo wrote:
So... Hori-san since you're at Shodokan Honbu can you toss this idea to Nariyama Shihan and get his views? You can tell him Peter thought of it.:p :)

Don't worry Larry. As we're just a sport, I figure I might be able to convince Shihan to go all the way! By the time you arrive for the World Championships, I hope for the following to be in place:
  • First and foremost, the afformentioned aikicheerleaders ("Gimme a 'sho'! Gimme a 'men'! Gimme an 'a'! Gimme a 'te'! What've you got?!? SHOMENATE!!!" <insert pompom (or fan as suggested by Michael Cardwell) waving here>)
  • Having coverage on a major network, with play-by-play and colour announcers ("A beautiful aigamaeate there, Bob!" "I don't care where you're from, Jim, that had to hurt!")
  • WWE-style enterances for each aikidoka, complete with pyrotechnics and theme music(I call LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out)
  • Endorsements ("I'll only ukemi on Adidis mats!" "My Nike dogi gave the comfort and maneuverability to take the gold!")
  • Set up something with a casino in Vegas, so we can get some betting action going on ("10:1 that Sakai's going to win the men's enbu with a oshitaoshi. 20:1 if it's from seiza!")
  • Protesters outside for some extra publicity and controvery (Ideally, chanting some kind of slogan like "Put the ki back in aikido!")

:D

(PS With my luck, this post is somehow going to get back (behave, Peter :p) to Nariyama Shihan and I'm going to end up doing continuous randori geiko with all the sandans and above for an enitre lesson or three...)

maikerus 10-21-2004 09:23 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
Quote:

R. Haruo Hori wrote:
(PS With my luck, this post is somehow going to get back (behave, Peter :p) to Nariyama Shihan and I'm going to end up doing continuous randori geiko with all the sandans and above for an enitre lesson or three...)

So *that's* why you posted it. Much better to be asked than to ask for this particular honour. Very sly on your part...

:) :D ;)

xuzen 10-21-2004 09:26 PM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
[quote=R. Haruo Hori]Don't worry Larry. As we're just a sport, I figure I might be able to convince Shihan to go all the way! By the time you arrive for the World Championships, I hope for the following to be in place:
  • First and foremost, the afformentioned aikicheerleaders ("Gimme a 'sho'! Gimme a 'men'! Gimme an 'a'! Gimme a 'te'! What've you got?!? SHOMENATE!!!" <insert pompom (or fan as suggested by Michael Cardwell) waving here>)
  • Having coverage on a major network, with play-by-play and colour announcers ("A beautiful aigamaeate there, Bob!" "I don't care where you're from, Jim, that had to hurt!")
  • WWE-style enterances for each aikidoka, complete with pyrotechnics and theme music(I call LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out)
  • Endorsements ("I'll only ukemi on Adidis mats!" "My Nike dogi gave the comfort and maneuverability to take the gold!")
  • Set up something with a casino in Vegas, so we can get some betting action going on ("10:1 that Sakai's going to win the men's enbu with a oshitaoshi. 20:1 if it's from seiza!")
  • Protesters outside for some extra publicity and controvery (Ideally, chanting some kind of slogan like "Put the ki back in aikido!")

:D

Ha ha ha, can we move this thread to the humour section...
I have just spilt my morning Java on my keyboard!!!

Boon.

KamiKaze_Evolution 10-22-2004 06:11 AM

Re: "No Ego in Aikido" News Article
 
[quote=Xu Wenfung]
Quote:

R. Haruo Hori wrote:
Don't worry Larry. As we're just a sport, I figure I might be able to convince Shihan to go all the way! By the time you arrive for the World Championships, I hope for the following to be in place:
  • First and foremost, the afformentioned aikicheerleaders ("Gimme a 'sho'! Gimme a 'men'! Gimme an 'a'! Gimme a 'te'! What've you got?!? SHOMENATE!!!" <insert pompom (or fan as suggested by Michael Cardwell) waving here>)
  • Having coverage on a major network, with play-by-play and colour announcers ("A beautiful aigamaeate there, Bob!" "I don't care where you're from, Jim, that had to hurt!")
  • WWE-style enterances for each aikidoka, complete with pyrotechnics and theme music(I call LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out)
  • Endorsements ("I'll only ukemi on Adidis mats!" "My Nike dogi gave the comfort and maneuverability to take the gold!")
  • Set up something with a casino in Vegas, so we can get some betting action going on ("10:1 that Sakai's going to win the men's enbu with a oshitaoshi. 20:1 if it's from seiza!")
  • Protesters outside for some extra publicity and controvery (Ideally, chanting some kind of slogan like "Put the ki back in aikido!")

:D

Ha ha ha, can we move this thread to the humour section...
I have just spilt my morning Java on my keyboard!!!

Boon.

I can imagine that how does Tomiki Style Aikido can becomes sports entertainment, that's great if it has hardcore match including there!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.