AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rolling with Katana (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6392)

p00kiethebear 09-03-2004 07:12 PM

Rolling with Katana

I remember a long time ago in aikido we practiced rolling with bokken.
But recently i noticed that if you attempt to roll with a sword when you have a saya as well, you would probably break the saya in the process. Is there a method of rolling without damaging the saya or yourself?

NagaBaba 09-03-2004 09:52 PM

Re: Rolling with Katana

Quote:

Nathan Gidney wrote:
Is there a method of rolling without damaging the saya or yourself?

yes, there is.

p00kiethebear 09-04-2004 12:41 AM

Wow thanks! Now if i just new what the method WAS. Can anyone describe it to me?

Nick Simpson 09-04-2004 03:43 AM

Take the saya out of your obi?

mj 09-04-2004 05:43 AM

Hold it in your right hand, lean forward to roll over your right arm.

Put the point of the katana/bokken by the outside of your left ankle and roll naturally. (I sometimes put my left hand near the tip of the bokken)

This shape works for backwards rolls too.

John Boswell 09-04-2004 09:33 AM

Mark,

That doesn't take into account the saya (scabbard). In the process of rolling forward, apx. half way through, your saya tip would hit the ground and interupt your roll, could break, could hurt or even impale yourself.

The only thing I can think to say on this is like Nick said: take it out of your obi.

It's a valid question. Anyone have a better/different answer than removing the saya from your obi??

graham butt 09-04-2004 02:51 PM

There is another way but Explaining it is rather difficult.... I'll also have to try it out tomorrow at the class. just to make sure it works.

Let you know soon

Zoli Elo 09-05-2004 05:37 AM

Rolling with a shinken - don't if you do not know what you are doing.

With that said, a way to successfully roll forward and backward with a shinken in a saya while still in an obi is as follows:

Orientate the weapon so that it is fairly horizontal across your hips. Both hands holding in open grips: one hand on the saya the other on the tsuka. Roll straighter then normal - nearly right down your spine.

Rolling at angles or side to side, is done differently and is a bit more complex. The weapon to hip position is different plus the hand grip and position are different...

Zoli

mj 09-05-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

John Boswell wrote:
Mark,

That doesn't take into account the saya (scabbard). In the process of rolling forward, apx. half way through, your saya tip would hit the ground and interupt your roll, could break, could hurt or even impale yourself.

The only thing I can think to say on this is like Nick said: take it out of your obi.

It's a valid question. Anyone have a better/different answer than removing the saya from your obi??

Same difference. By having to keep the weapon sheathed, just push the handle down so that the (covered) blade is pointing up with the handle (mind has gone utterly blank) pointing down. If your head doesn't hit the ground as you roll (which it shouldn't) then the sword will not.

It's only a problem in the mind afaik.

graham butt 09-08-2004 03:41 AM

Thats how I did at class, sword was still in sheath and in obi, I had no problem rolling once i realised that it wasn't hitting the ground!