AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Dojo search. SOUTH FLORIDA Pembroke Pine (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6026)

A D 07-13-2004 10:06 PM

Dojo search. SOUTH FLORIDA Pembroke Pine

Hello everyone,

I'm back and still lost.

I'm highly determined to take Aikido lessons but it seems all odds are against me.

I live in South Florida, Pembroke Pines.

I was wondering if you know any dojos that are NOT in the directory that I searched in and close to my area.

I have visited one dojo, South Florida Aikido which is in Hollywood (directly east from me). The teacher seemed fine but they do not have basics classes.

I'm 15 (so can't drive yet! >_<), so I have to rely on my mom to take me to Hollywood (which is more than half and hour away). She isn't reliable because she has things to do around that time.

I don't want to sound like a bickering complaining child (far from my nature) but I just want some advice. ;)

Thanks a lot for your time.

-Alex

jacob wood 07-13-2004 10:49 PM

Re: Dojo search. SOUTH FLORIDA Pembroke Pine

alex i know how frustrating this is i am also wanting to join a dojo but i still don't have my license. im 16 but i couldn't take my test when i turned 16 because we were on vacation and my permit expired, and the next test is on july 21 (which was 3 months after i got my permit renewed because everything was filled up). I was going to start right after the fourth but couldn't because i couldn't drive. any way good luck with finding another dojo i don't know anything about florida because i live in colorado.

jacob

A D 07-14-2004 02:26 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I just found one thats actually pretty close.

http://www.aikidocenterofmiami.com/Dojo.html

Can you experienced folk tell me whether or not this is a legit dojo? I will be visiting it tomorrow, but if you guys right off the bat can tell it'd be a great warning!

It does seem a bit odd, but I know a lot of dojos actually used colored belts rather than white and black.

I'd prefer a traditional aikido experience, but I'll take what I can get for spiritual awareness and self defense...

Thanks again for your time!

-Alex

Greg Jennings 07-14-2004 05:19 AM

Quote:

Alex de la Paz wrote:

Not my cup of tea. Take that for what it's worth.

Best regards,

Don_Modesto 07-14-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Greg Jennings wrote:
Not my cup of tea. Take that for what it's worth.

Best regards,

Regarding the teacher, the sites says,

"Juan has been training in Aikido for the last eight years under the direct supervision of Dr. Philip Chenique, founder of Chendokan Aikido and Atemi-Ryu Ju-Jitsu."

Coming from a traditional aikido background (ASU), I've been training in Atemi-ryu Jujutsu with a student of Chenique's (Gus Hernandez) for going on a year now and am very impressed with his/their ability, sincerity, and open-mindedness. At seminars, I see similar ability/attitude. Their overriding emphasis is unapologetically on street applicability. Chenique's students are centered, quick, have strong technique and a fine training attitude on the mat. I haven't met Mr. Alberto, but if he's Chenique trained, I'm betting he's pretty good.

That said, what I have seen of their aikido does not look "traditional"--I haven't seen any SUARI WAZA nor HANMI HANDACHI, for example, and they do incorporate a lot of the Philippine-style slapping ATEMI (for which, presumably, they are named). However, the standing and rear techiques seems pretty similar. If you ended up at this dojo, it would not be a consolation prize. You would benefit from the experience, but it wouldn't be precisely "traditional" judging from my experience.

Greg Jennings 07-14-2004 02:29 PM

I find the whole "Dr." title thing and World Head Of Family Sokeship Council stuff pretty off-putting. Not Aberto, but Chenique.

YMMV and I'm OK with that,

kironin 07-28-2004 02:46 PM

Quote:

Alex de la Paz wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I just found one thats actually pretty close.

http://www.aikidocenterofmiami.com/Dojo.html

Can you experienced folk tell me whether or not this is a legit dojo? I will be visiting it tomorrow, but if you guys right off the bat can tell it'd be a great warning!
-Alex

If they are connected with Alan Drysdale as seems to be suggested by the pictures, then yes they (Juan Alberto et al.) are legitimate

Certainly looks ok to me.

Color belts don't mean a lot. Some legitimate organizations use them and some don't. AAA uses them for example. Sometimes they are used only for children's ranks.

If you interest is in learning Aikido, this would certainly be a better choice than the Atemi-Ryu place.