AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: How physically challenging is your current aikido dojo for you? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5824)

AikiWeb System 06-13-2004 12:01 AM

Poll: How physically challenging is your current aikido dojo for you?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 13, 2004:

How physically challenging is your current aikido dojo for you?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Extremely challenging
  • Very challenging
  • Quite challenging
  • Somewhat challenging
  • Not very challenging
  • Not at all challenging
Here are the current results.

SeiserL 06-13-2004 10:47 AM

Re: Poll: How physically challenging is your current aikido dojo for you?

IMHO, my current (and only) Dojo has never challenged me. It has always welcomed me. Its a very nice well-behaved building.

Now the workouts were another matter. At first, the workouts were very challenging. It was not the techniques or movement for a Tori position, but the falls and rolls from the Uke position that challenged me. Its that falling down and getting up thing.

And everytime I kinda get used to the challenge, we tend to up the intensity to keep it a challenge.

I like it that way.

Robert Jackson 06-14-2004 12:37 AM

Depends on the night.

For a physical challenge there have been numerous times I can remember where I am gasping for wind and needing some sort of quick break....A new uki is always called at the right time :). Other times I go the whole class without feeling tired at all (Still learning quite a bit just not in the physical manner).

Mental challenge happens all the time. I always feel like "Hey, good, you're doing that sort of right, now try this!" which always kinda cool. Everyonce in a while I hit those night where all it feels like I'm getting a bit lump in the shoulder from frustation... no matter how bad those nights are I always like them the next morning as I slowly start understand what I might have been doing wrong. Which makes for a great day at work ;).

ian 06-14-2004 07:42 AM

Although there are times when it is useful to have a physical challange, I have learnt from swimming that having severe physical training all the time can limit your ability to improve technically. Usually you need to train slowly and/or gently to get the technique correct. It is pointless being able to do a poor technique whilst using lots of power.

Ian

Virgil 06-15-2004 11:20 AM

Challenge varies; on beginner nights there is usually a workout, which involves lots of calisthenics and running around the mat. Sensei is an athlete, and wants all of his students to be fit, so we had a few months there of intense workouts most of the time. Now that he's satisfied that we're in decent shape he's tapered off in the open classes. But there's still physical requirements for the upper Que promotions . . .

Suru 06-15-2004 07:54 PM

Amazing how the vote is almost a perfect standard normal distribution (bell curve.)

Drew