AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Iwama Ryu dojo (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5808)

rafeh 06-10-2004 02:39 AM

Iwama Ryu dojo

Dear Aikidoka,

What is the difference between Iwama style Aikido and other Aikikai styles.
Inspite of the fact that Saito Sensei has been a preferedushe deshi of O Sensei. Why is the Iwama Ryu Dojo seperated from the Aikikai?

Thanks

PaulieWalnuts 06-10-2004 03:56 AM

Re: Iwama Ryu dojo

That can be a very difficult answer as some other aikido schools usually dont like the answer that is given. Some people would say that Iwama is the closest to the founders tech/ Or Iwama is the least changed form of Aikido. Also some would say that Iwama is what the founder was doing, While the hombu had more freedom to change through doshu and tohei. Iwama is also the home of the basics and the weapons system of aikiken/jo was born there, and handed down to saito sensei to preserve and develop. You need to spend some time looking on the net for iwama sites.

here are some with good info
www.iwama-aikido.com
www.aikido-france.net
www.aikido-of-edinburgh.com
also check other sites in search engines

PaulieWalnuts 06-10-2004 08:01 AM

Some other important things about Iwama aikido is that it follows the founders trainging system very strictly. ie every class must start with taino henko and morotodori kokyu ho and end in sawari waza kokyu ho. we always train in the three levels of resistence. ie hard soft flowing. this was the founders way.. also training must be done with strong kiai ALWAYS. this is one of the big difference in iwama. Kishamura stopped this.

Sorry if this offends other people but he did ask, and all this is easily found on the net. Also in the origianl Budo

rafeh 06-10-2004 12:25 PM

Thanks a lot Steff,
Your input is very innormative. I found a good discussion on that topic in the Aikido Journal forum.
I've watched the AikiKen and AikiJo dvd's of Saito Sensei. His style is very impressive. He did emphasise the use of kiai. Is it only used in wepons training?

tony cameron 06-10-2004 03:31 PM

hi stef & rafeh,

before choosing Aikido as my Way, i had read a few books first (the Philosophy of Aikido and Secrets of Aikido). O Sensei clearly emphasized many techniques with energetic vocal shouts such as "yah!" and "Kiai!" it is said that O Sensei could take an opponent (training partner:) completely off balance or even throw them from a distance (!) with one of his powerful shouts, hence: the famous "no touch throw." the japanese word for this is 'kototama' which has something to do with the spiritual power or potency of vocalized sound. needless to say, i was a little surprised at how silent Aikikai style is (eerily silent at times;) but i Love my dojo and am fortunate to recieve the highest level of compassion and instruction. i do however look very forward to studying Iwama-style one day as i have this very deep unfulfilled longing to belt out a nice heartfelt "KIAI!" whilst executing one of the manifold Aikido techniques. i must admit that i do practice kototama outside of my dojo, but it's only to throw nasty customers without having to touch them, i swear. i will end my humble post with a beautiful quote from Koretoshi Maruyama sensei:

"every river has a name. however, these names disappear when they flow into the great ocean. Aikido has many styles, many names, but Aikido is Aikido. it is my vision and hope that, like the rivers, they flow together and unite as one."

now if that doesn't capture the spirit of Aikido i'm a pink rhinocerous.

tony1

Devrim 06-11-2004 12:36 AM

I couldn't agree more on this wise qoute of Maruyama Sensei.
What if we think of that the martial arts flow into the great ocean..?

Actually with the proper voice which shouts "Yah !" or "Kiai !" a budoka can see the true things of harmonization in the nature even if this voice is calmly present in his eyes...

PaulieWalnuts 06-11-2004 01:37 AM

Your kiai should be in all of your Art.