AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ukemi on plywood? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5782)

stern9631 06-07-2004 11:20 AM

Ukemi on plywood?

It would seem to me that at some point we should train as if we were in a real conflict. So, has anyone considered taking ukemi on a harder surface than a mat like plywood on top of a mat? I realize we don't want to generate injuries, but it may help to refine our ukemi technique.

grasshopper73 06-07-2004 11:48 AM

Re: Ukemi on plywood?

Previous to Aikido , I learned how to fall and roll in Judo. Once while dirt bike riding , my front tire slid out on me on a root....I was able to roll out from the crash without a scratch. Not exactly on topic...but it was quite humorous and effective to those watching.

Bronson 06-07-2004 12:13 PM

See this thread.

And this thread.

And this thread.

I'm sure there are many more. I found these by using the site's search feature and looking for "concrete".

Bronson

Don_Modesto 06-07-2004 01:33 PM

Quote:

Bronson Diffin wrote:
See this thread.

And this thread.

And this thread.

I'm sure there are many more. I found these by using the site's search feature and looking for "concrete".

Bronson

Yes!

Well done, Bronson!

Jordan Steele 06-08-2004 10:43 AM

If your ukemi is good and you think it is, then it probably isn't good...unfortunately. It's easy for people to think their ukemi is good in the dojo. But the truth is, you can teach a brand new student how to comfortably breakfall on mats in one or two classes. Ukemi is not the art of falling, it is the art of staying alive. If you're head is being launched at the concrete, the last thing I'm going to do is let myself be thrown, I'm going to figure out how to drag nage down(realistcally, not in practice). Anyway, by all means practice on hard surfaces. If you can roll with some roundness, it won't hurt to much. Just keep practicing.

reiko 07-13-2004 03:29 AM

i've tried rolling on plywood and even on cement, and my left shoulder kinda hurt a bit when it was the first time i did it(actually, it was a forced ukemi, because our sensei commanded us to roll on hard cement...). as for me, it did give an advantage. for example, if you accidentally trip over you can use the ukemi without even having to sacrifice yur face and your skin. sounds a bit shallow but it means a lot to me.

philipsmith 07-13-2004 07:35 AM

I was at a seminar recently where there was no mat for the last session. Some people were still crashing into the floor without modifying their ukeme!
Perhaps some Aikidoka think they have to be macho during both technique and ukeme (the I'm hard syndrome) and are not really considering how to protect their body. IMHO ukeme should be the same no matter what the surface i.e. safe.