AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Secret of Aikido Revealed in a Dream (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5506)

Choku Tsuki 05-05-2004 03:13 PM

Secret of Aikido Revealed in a Dream

Aikido was effortless. In the randori the timing, distance and execution of technique was perfect and beautiful and flowing. The secret was now revealed and the feeling of satori was overpowering and joyful.

Then I woke up. The harder I tried to remember The Dream the quicker it melted away from memory. Some of the feeling was there, but now along with the sad feeling of loss.

So I swore to myself that, should I ever have The Dream again, to wake myself and record everything in my notebook.

Last night The Dream returned; it was a fun, it was revelatory. I woke up grinning and wrote it all down and went back to sleep satisfied.

Today as I sat up in bed, it was like Christmas morning, knowing the great present I possessed. I grabbed my notebook. It said:

people are different

shihonage 05-05-2004 03:26 PM

Re: Secret of Aikido Revealed in a Dream

One man got really drunk and he suddenly had this ingenious insight.
Regretfully, he forgot it upon becoming sober again.

So, next time he got drunk he took a pencil and a pen and wrote it down.

When he sobered up, he looked at the paper and it said "Banana is big, but banana peel is bigger."

William Westdyke 05-05-2004 04:39 PM

What the HELL are you people talking about!?!

Paul Sanderson-Cimino 05-05-2004 04:46 PM

Well, to be fair, I think that "people are different" is a meaningful phrase. It reminds me of something Joel Ward-sensei said to me (I hope he doesn't mind being quoted) in reference to a question I asked about dealing with beginners of different ability levels:

"But you are both who and what you are at this moment, and from that place you make the best relationship you can. In the next moment you will both be different and the way of moving towards harmony may also be changed."

So don't feel too silly for posting up the 'dream' thing...I think there are 'secrets' of aikido (even if, as I once heard, "You learn them all in the first week")...there are just a /lot/ of them. So don't worry that there's nothing new ahead from here, Chuck. ^_-

(I'm assuming he was being at least partially serious...can't really tell.)

And now, ironically enough, I should go change and get to some actual training myself, instead of being all lofty.

Goye 05-05-2004 05:44 PM

Quote:

nyaikido wrote:

Today as I sat up in bed, it was like Christmas morning, knowing the great present I possessed. I grabbed my notebook. It said:

.... keep training. :ai: :ki: :do:

kenkid 05-07-2004 07:41 PM

My best sayu-waza ever was in a dream and it did improve my form on the mat...

Isn't it amazing what we a do when restriction are lifted!

David Edwards 05-14-2004 09:56 AM

By coincidence I did a perfect irimi-tenkan in a dream last night, and it saved my life (in the dream). He had a sword, I had a dagger (Freud, no! ;)), he attacked with something ressembling yokomenuchi, I made irimi-tenkan, harmonizing perfectly with the attack, and put my dagger in his heart in a continuation of the same motion...

Williamross77 05-14-2004 11:37 AM

Quote:

What the HELL are you people talking about!?!
Western Zen tradition, ...?
Nice thought though, ...?
Dust Dust and No Dust ...?

Lan Powers 05-14-2004 06:15 PM

Just the acceptance of the simple thought "people are different" would affect a big change in the world.... provided, I would add, "people are different and that's OK"
Now if only that were to spread.....hmmmmm.
Lan