AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Do you wear underwear underneath your aikido dogi? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5081)

AikiWeb System 02-29-2004 12:01 AM

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 29, 2004:

Do you wear underwear underneath your aikido dogi?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.

Roger C. Marks 02-29-2004 04:21 AM

Is it true that the keikogi is considered underwear? My Japanese contacts don't agree on this point, does anybody out there have a definitive answer? I have known this 'underwear' theory been used as the reason to wear hakama because it is rather silly doing the do in your underwear.

shihonage 02-29-2004 04:28 AM

This is a weird poll.

Nick P. 02-29-2004 06:51 AM

I'm sure someone with more information will correct me, be I was under the impression that hakama are pants, making the dogi underneath in effect underwear.

Is there not a story out there about O-Sensei scolding someone for attempting to bow-in without a hakama commenting something like "Put on some pants!" ?

And so far I think I am the only one who answered "No"....

Doka 02-29-2004 10:51 AM

Did you vote that just to be different, Nick?

The image!!! Arrggg!!! :freaky:

I do wear underwear, but not Gi pants.

Oh I wear a hakama though! :D

mj 02-29-2004 03:18 PM

Let's not discuss the 'specifics' of the underwear, thx :)

Nick P. 02-29-2004 06:15 PM

y'know,

for 151 people who responded, there are few posts.

;)

Nick P. 02-29-2004 06:16 PM

Oooh! I know!

For those who do wear underwear, do they wear:

1- Briefs (both ladies and men)

2- Boxer's

3- Thong

4- The other gender's unmentionables.

(Sorry, really couldn't resist!)

SteveTrinkle 02-29-2004 06:50 PM

I don't wear actual underwear beneath my dogi, but I do wear a tasteful black lace garter belt. Does that count?

stuartjvnorton 02-29-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Nick Pittson (Nick P.) wrote:
Oooh! I know!

For those who do wear underwear, do they wear:

1- Briefs (both ladies and men)

2- Boxer's

3- Thong

4- The other gender's unmentionables.

(Sorry, really couldn't resist!)

Definitely 1.

Containment is the name of the game in reducing the chance of the dreaded "flat bag" (there's your Aussie slang lesson for the day, folks).

One crooked landing can end a dynasty...

(Quite alright Nick: I couldn't resist either lol)

jducusin 02-29-2004 08:18 PM

Eew.

Quote:

Stephen Trinkle (SteveTrinkle) wrote:
I don't wear actual underwear beneath my dogi, but I do wear a tasteful black lace garter belt. Does that count?

A garter belt...to hold up WHAT exactly?! Kneepads? :D

PeterR 02-29-2004 08:56 PM

The first and last time I went regimental I got stepped on.

I avoid boxers for the same reason.

stuartjvnorton 02-29-2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
The first and last time I went regimental I got stepped on.

I avoid boxers for the same reason.

Stepped on?? My eyes watered just reading that. 8-(

Bronson 02-29-2004 11:43 PM

I know of two people for sure who go "freestyle". One of them used to do judo that way too :freaky:

Oh and I go for the boxer briefs. All the support none of the "bunching".

Bronson

jk 03-01-2004 02:23 AM

I used to wear compression shorts, but now make do with running shorts; the liners provide a modicum of support. The garter belt sounds tempting, although if I go that way, I'd go for the full-blown merry widow corset and thong...

Kevin Masters 03-01-2004 07:16 AM

I had to check my calendar to be sure this was March 1st and not April.

Heh.

I wear Scooby-Doo pajayma bottoms!

:D

Seriously though. Without going into specifics I would agree that proper undergarment selection is important to limiting discomfort and distraction to my practice.

Merry Widow corset?! Yikes. I'm imagining Dr. Frankenfurter practicing in my dojo now.

NO HIGH HEELS ON THE MAT!!!

cbrf4zr2 03-01-2004 07:44 AM

I just need to know who voted "No" so that I NEVER visit those Dojos. :confused:

DarkShodan 03-01-2004 09:28 AM

I most definitely wear some sort of underwear, and usually some sort of athletic supporter. Makes the hard falls a little more bearable.

As Cosmo Kramer would say.....

"My boys need a house."

AsimHanif 03-01-2004 10:04 AM

I wear undershirts depending on if I left my gi jacket in the trunk during winter:-) I'm sure most people have had that experience unless you live in a warm climate all year round.

I also like to wear my running tights under my gi pants. They warm my muscles quickly and give me great support as well as a little extra padding.

Doka 03-01-2004 12:03 PM

LYCRA!

BC 03-01-2004 12:05 PM

Power ranger tighty whiteys!

This thread makes me want to sing the "Lumberjack Song."

William Westdyke 03-01-2004 02:14 PM

This is by far the most disturbing forum I've ever read. This is supposed to be one of those thing you get by following examples. If all the Dan Ranks are doing it... well it's probably a good idea.

William

Oh yeah... definitely briefs.

Ron Tisdale 03-01-2004 02:40 PM

Briefs. Mens' Briefs. 'Nough said.

Ron (waves at Steven, trying not to notice the garter belt [which is hopefully stevenese for a knee brace]) :)

Ted Marr 03-01-2004 02:46 PM

Definitely all about the briefs. I shunned them before starting martial arts, but I don't understand how any male could do otherwise. Much like women going without a sports bra. It's the next best thing to the best possible solution, which would be to have modular anatomy. Full corset ensemble with garter belts not reccommended. I played Dr. Frank-n-furter a couple of times in college, trust me, it's just a bad idea to try any kind of movement in that getup. But I think that's quite enough purple prose posted about this poll. Time for a new subject Jun!

markwalsh 03-01-2004 05:56 PM

I find that Koshi nage is a particular Tchaikovsky in boxers. Hell, all aikidoka are into S and M anyway.

Has anyone met those people who wear hakama but no gi bottoms? Errrmmm...

Aleksey saying its a weird poll? Pot calling the kettle hash?

Mark

x