AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Shihonage Rocks! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4477)

actoman 10-06-2003 04:21 AM

Shihonage Rocks!

Hi all, although you all may think I am being silly, I just got done practicing Shihonage throws in class, and I just gotta say,
It has always been my favorite to look at, now that I am actually practicing it, it ROCKS!
What are your favorite moves?

Yann Golanski 10-06-2003 04:43 AM

Shihonage was always a favorite of mine. I think that tenchinage and iriminage (including the aigamae ate version) are my close seconds.

Ikkio/oshi taoshi is one of those techniques that I just cannot get my head round. I understand how they work but I cannot do them in randori for the life of me. It never seems to work for some reason.

That and last time I was uke for it, I spend two hours doing it and getting my elbow old injury back. No more Aikido for me for two weeks! ARGH!

villrg0a 10-06-2003 06:43 AM

kokyu nage is my fav, next is nage irimi

mj 10-06-2003 08:05 AM

Ikkyo, always ikkyo.

Aikilove 10-06-2003 08:19 AM

I just love doing koshi-nage, I cound practice that all day.

Greg Jennings 10-06-2003 10:20 AM

I find that a lot of people are over confident in their shihonage. If done well, it's a good technique.

If done not-so-well, it's an invitation to being embarrassed.

Do this sometime:

Have your partner practice shihonage on you slowly. In the middle of the technique, when they are half-way through their pivot, feeeellllll for an opening. If they've given you slack, you can reverse them by pulling down/dropping.

Do it slowly, however, because if they've done the technique well, pulling/dropping accelerates the technique.

Regards,

shihonage 10-06-2003 02:09 PM

Re: Shihonage Rocks!

Quote:

Andy Orwig (actoman) wrote:
What are your favorite moves?

Nick Simpson 10-06-2003 05:26 PM

Im keeping away from shionage at the minute, after a month off I seem to have gotten into a really bad habit of taking ukes arm outwards as you might do in a real application to break it (Im doing this by accident of course). Got a sickening cracking sound from one of the other students tonight, I was not impressed with my lack of control.

I suppose my favourite technique is ikkyo, it feels so graceful when you get it right, especially in randori.

rachmass 10-06-2003 05:28 PM

irimi nage!!!!!!!!!

Amassus 10-06-2003 06:05 PM

Irimi nage from Yokomonuchi is fun, also kaiten nage.

They are all fun in their own way. Depending on what mood I'm in. :confused:

sanosuke 10-06-2003 08:59 PM

irimi nage and kokyu

Clayton Drescher 10-06-2003 10:12 PM

just learned some iriminage tricks today that make it much easier and softer, makes it more fun....but I like that I remember how to do shihonage off almost any attack, so its my go-to technique

drDalek 10-07-2003 05:00 AM

The technique I default to when I start running out of ideas is a Sankyo converted to a throw. Not exactly graceful but I manage to apply it with 70-80% success (where success is defined as Uke going to the ground) which is more than can be said for any of my other techniques.

ian 10-07-2003 10:58 AM

Shiho-nage used to bee my favourite. I like the way you turn around and so can see 360 degrees. However it is no longer my favourite as I think it can have certain vulnerabilities (have to be careful that it is not easily countered, not easily turned out of, uke can't hit you with other arm during the technique, uke doesn't role out of technique after throw, uke doesn't hit you when you pin them (they are pretty much on their backs, facing you).

Irimi-nage has to be the best technique, followed by the closely aligned tenchi-nage.

Ian

Lan Powers 10-08-2003 10:17 PM

Few things more satisfying than a hi-fall sumi atoshi...:)

Lan

sanosuke 10-08-2003 10:55 PM

but do you guys realize that no matter how much techniques we learn and master in aikido, in the end there's only one technique that is really useful and surely effective, that is.......tai sabaki (irimi & tenkan).

Thalib 10-09-2003 12:14 AM

seiza and rei :)

Although my knee still couldn't take long seiza, I'm still getting used to it.

I'm also still practicing sincerity within my rei.

jk 10-09-2003 09:29 PM

Since we're drifting off-topic: forty-yard dash.

Joe Jutsu 10-09-2003 10:13 PM

I like shihonage too. I agree that you have to be careful, because it can be spun out of. Probably not if you are applying the technique perfectly, because a good shihonage is definitely harder to spin out of than a bad one. But someone after class the other day showed me that if uke does spin out, go for another shihonage. Uke is in a much more compromised position this time around, and the fall is harder to take because in my experience at least by this point there is more energy in the technique. But I've really been enjoying "enundo" techniques (sorry my spelling probably sucks).

Joe.

bca333 10-12-2003 06:35 PM

Favorite technique

I used to have favorites. Now I'm just happy with anything I can do successfully with a committed attack. The list keeps getting smaller...Hmmmmmmmmm.

indomaresa 10-30-2003 10:05 AM

right... sabaki, the ultimate safety technique. Combine it with John's 40 feet dash and there ain't a martial art out there that can take you down.

Ghost Fox 10-30-2003 03:36 PM

Quote:

Joe Proffitt (Joe Jutsu) wrote:
But someone after class the other day showed me that if uke does spin out, go for another shihonage. Uke is in a much more compromised position this time around, and the fall is harder to take because in my experience at least by this point there is more energy in the technique.

Joe.

I usually apply a kotegaeshi technique when uke spins out of a shihonage, as uke generates all the energy for the through by attempting to escape.

JMTC.

WylMorris 10-30-2003 08:04 PM

Aikiotoshi (spelling?) is good, but my great loves are Kaiten nage (especially Soto Mawari) and kata dore kotegaeshi is my all time favourite.

Apologies for my spelling, if its wrong, which i think it is.

Esteban Martinez 10-30-2003 08:44 PM

Kotegaeshi, Kokyunage, Iriminage, Sumiotoshi

Pretty much anything with a breakfall.

SmilingNage 11-17-2003 06:26 PM

Come on it has to be the mother of all mat slamming, fat jigglin throws

KOSHINAGE!!!!

Those throws require a great deal of trust and ability to use. Plus they are just so much fun to take and give.

Shihonage and kotegaeshi have to be the most common techniques not applied correctly that often lead to injuries. I thought my 3rd kyu test would be the death of my wrists and elbows from the 3 shihonage throws and the kotegaeshi on that test.