AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Have you ever intentionally injured someone seriously in your aikido training? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4337)

AikiWeb System 09-07-2003 12:01 AM

AikiWeb Poll for the week of September 7, 2003:

Have you ever intentionally injured someone seriously in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.

mj 09-07-2003 03:54 PM

The yes vote percentage keeps increasing.

I am Jack's amazement.

Kevin Masters 09-07-2003 08:33 PM

I'm Jack's broken collarbone!

shihonage 09-07-2003 10:24 PM

I'm Jack's collection of tired movie cliches.

happysod 09-08-2003 07:34 AM

I am jacks inflated bank balance if anyone is silly enough to post a "yes" reply in this thread - are you trying for entrapment Jun?

How about changing this Q to "would you ever...", some of those "hypothetical" replies might be interesting

SeiserL 09-08-2003 02:48 PM

While I personally have never intentionally injured someone, I was intentionally hurt by someone. He had a problem with control and showing off. Sensei eventually asked him to leave.

Russ Qureshi 09-10-2003 10:17 AM

I would be curious as to the circumstances surrounding the "yes" replies. In what situation did you find it necessary to "intentionally, seriously injure" someone during aikido training....

Wondering,

Russ

Mark Barlow 09-10-2003 10:51 AM

I'd be amazed if anyone who responded yes steps up with an explanation. It's like the old, "do you still beat your wife?" question.

During 20 years with my Sensei, I saw him "intentionally inflict serious injury" during class a time or two and I thought then and I do now that it was a perfectly logical response to a real threat. We're not talking about a sadist who hurts students for the pleasure/fun of it but an instructor dealing with a determined, trained martial artist.

My sensei has passed away so pressing charges for assault is not an issue. Of course, he was in his late 70s when all this took place and few bullies want to complain that a little old man beat them up. :)

Largo 09-10-2003 06:18 PM

So what exactly counts as serious?

Mark Barlow 09-11-2003 08:07 AM

If the question is directed at me.....

in the incident that comes to mind, a broken wrist.

Ghost Fox 09-11-2003 08:33 AM

I never seen someone intentionally injuring someone, but I've seen quite a few injures from Yudansha who think that throwing someone harder than usual means their aikido is better.

Personally, I've tweaked a couple of people during practice unintentionally, but I do fear that one day I will hurt someone seriously. I allow this thought to sometimes hinder my Aikido, especially around more fragile Ukes. Does anyone else worry about this, or have this problem?

Bronson 09-11-2003 10:13 AM

Quote:

Damion Lost (Ghost Fox) wrote:
I do fear that one day I will hurt someone seriously. I allow this thought to sometimes hinder my Aikido, especially around more fragile Ukes. Does anyone else worry about this, or have this problem?

Yes but I don't consider it a problem. The softer I can learn to do a technique the better. I've done my share of accidental tweaks and it just makes me more aware of how unaware I was.

I've seen people write on Aikiweb that their instructor is really great because he can throw uke so hard that uke goes blind in one eye and pisses blood for a week (paraphrased of course ;)). I tend to be more impressed with those people who can put me on the ground so gently that I have no idea how or even why I'm down there. I attack, they disappear, I'm staring at the ceiling thinking that one day I'll learn to do that.

Bronson