AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   resistance in training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4303)

Paula Lydon 08-28-2003 08:11 PM

resistance in training

~~Hi all!

I was training with a beginner the other day and during the technique he asked me what I would do if I met resistance at this point where our wrists were crossed. I told him straight up "There is only ever resistance in yourself". I hadn't been actively considering this (sounds like something out of the Matrix), but when I heard it, it seemed true.
He asked me what I meant (like I knew), so we put out wrists together again and I told him, as I leaned toward him, to resist the pressure. When he did, and acknowledged it as resistance, I just exicuted a tenkan and he slid on by. "Where's the resistance?" I asked him. How silly and simple this seems, but it got me looking at many other aspects of my life where I was 'getting resistance' while not acknowledging my part in it.
That's all; thanks for listening :)

Aristeia 08-29-2003 02:05 AM

So what you're saying is that Mum was right all along - it takes two to make a fight...

SeiserL 08-29-2003 08:02 AM

What is the sound of one wrist resisting? ;-)

Lyle Bogin 08-29-2003 12:04 PM

Sometimes though, it is smart to resist.

Janet Rosen 08-29-2003 12:18 PM

Quote:

Lyle Bogin wrote:
Sometimes though, it is smart to resist.

On the mat? hmmm....details? how and when and why?

Ron Tisdale 08-29-2003 01:00 PM

katate mochi sokomen iriminage

Uke pushes, shite uses the power of the center line to hold kamae, which off balances uke, shite then pivots and throws.

Ron :)

Janet Rosen 08-29-2003 01:32 PM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote:
katate mochi sokomen iriminage

Uke pushes, shite uses the power of the center line to hold kamae, which off balances uke, shite then pivots and throws.

ahhh. cool.

For this, which is a technique I really like playing with (when I was off training injured, it was the one I most often found myself having waking dreams of) I generally recieve a bit while dropping, then pivot and throw.

This may be a stylistic difference, different teachings.

It may reflect that as a small middle aged woman its more natural for me to find openings based on non-resistance (even on strong irimi entrances, its important for me to find the slight angle that permits it to not be direct resistance).

Either way, worth playing with...thank you.

Ron Tisdale 08-29-2003 02:02 PM

Its just based on different timings really.

Shite can move slightly before firm contact leading uke

Shite can move with firm contact

Shite can resist first and then move

All good fun, and its amazing how a small person can off set a large one by just a little hesitation before they move.

Have fun,

Janet Rosen 08-29-2003 02:19 PM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote:
Its just based on different timings really.

Shite can move slightly before firm contact leading uke

Shite can move with firm contact

Shite can resist first and then move

All good fun, and its amazing how a small person can off set a large one by just a little hesitation before they move.

Have fun,

indeed; what you are calling resistance in the third example is a matter of semantics probably I perceive that as shite very slightly moving towards to meet uke.

cheers