AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Which role do you think is more prone to injuries while training in aikido? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4237)

AikiWeb System 08-10-2003 12:01 AM

AikiWeb Poll for the week of August 10, 2003:

Which role do you think is more prone to injuries while training in aikido?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Nage
  • Uke
Here are the current results.

shihonage 08-10-2003 06:06 AM

Nuke.

Bogeyman 08-10-2003 05:35 PM

In my experience ukes have taken the brunt of injuries due to poor ukemi, tumbling into others, or nage trying to force things on uke. Nage is just not exposed to these things.

E

Matt Gallagher 08-11-2003 12:06 PM

I voted for uke

As uke you must trust tori to excercise control as they execute the technique. This trust is not always well founded, but it is the nature of Aikido that we train this way. Uke is therefore more prone to injury. Uke can do more to avoid injury by being relaxed and committed to their attack, and also by avoiding pre-empting tori's technique (in freestyle particularly).

Tori can do much to avoid injury to him/her self and to uke by excercising awareness and also taking a relaxed approach to the technique.

Misogi-no-Gyo 08-11-2003 03:27 PM

Quote:

AikiWeb System wrote:
AikiWeb Poll for the week of August 10, 2003:

Which role do you think is more prone to injuries while training in aikido?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Nage
  • Uke

Here are the current results.

Jun-San,

I think this question would be improved by adding "neither" to the possible answers. I do have a efeling that most people replying would select still another possible selection, were it added to the list - "ego"

PS - if you have a chance to forward a note to your friend - the graphic in question is still posted on his site....Thanks!

rachmass 08-11-2003 05:29 PM

For me it has been nage. I've blown out my ACL as nage, torn a rotator cuff, and basically found all sorts of structural weaknesses this way. Actually, I've found the most dangerous part of aikido to be line throws and trying to get out of the way of hurling bodies (sometimes people are just not careful in these situations).

Nacho_mx 08-11-2003 06:38 PM

Just this morning, while attepting a koshinage (my least favorite technique) on a very reluctant uke he landed awkwardly on my left leg. Fortunately the leg bent inwards, so there was no damage to my knee, but it couldīve been bad. However me thinks ukes in general donīt give as good as they get, so thatīs where my vote goes.

Phil 08-18-2003 11:06 AM

Uke is obviously the most prone to injuries, but not always because of Nage. When you're tired or not concentrating you don't always anticipate well enough. I know that at the end of training I often don't flip over as fast or as far out of the techinque as I really should to escape. Sometimes then I've been hurt, wrenched or dumped on my neck (especially in Yoshinkan)

That's more about me giving in. Personally there is nothing more tedious than getting hurt by an inexperienced Nage/Sh'te, and it occurs in every martial art where thereis some element of sparring. The idiot is usually male, 19/20 something years old and thinks he's really got to stick it on to make it work. That's when you'll find me laying awkwardly on the mat thinking, in a very un-zen like manner: "my turn next mother f*cker."

Then, at that point I have to say I'm not very good Nage either.