AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: How much safer do you think aikido training would be without people wearing the hakama? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4201)

AikiWeb System 07-27-2003 12:01 AM

AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 27, 2003:

How much safer do you think aikido training would be without people wearing the hakama?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Crucially safer
  • Much safer
  • Somewhat safer
  • Not much safer
  • Not at all safer
Here are the current results.

shihonage 07-27-2003 02:32 AM

In a related question, how much rounder will a burger look if you do not in fact put ketchup in it ?

PeterR 07-27-2003 05:02 AM

The thing is I don't wear hakama - at least not normally.

Shodokan people generally don't.

Kenji Tomiki felt that it was detrimental to the safety of randori.

The worst I ever hurt anyone was when his foot got caught up in my hakama which I wore when training with aikikai groups.

From what I've seen I tend to agree - I voted much safer.

Nacho_mx 07-27-2003 03:04 PM

In 6 years of training Ive seen but one incident in which someone tripped in his hakama resulting in a separated shoulder. In almost three years of wearing a hakama Ive tripped once with no serious consequences (minor groin pull). So I voted "not much safer", if not at all. Keep in mind in our dojo only yudansha and women (optional) wear hakama, so a better footwork/ukemi is somewhat expected. Very few women opt for the hakama in early stages of training and there has been no incidents.

Chuck Clark 07-27-2003 03:11 PM

I have seen one person tear a hamstring due to getting their foot caught in their partner's hakama. To be fair, though, they were too tight and rigid with their ukemi and that's what caused the incident.

I can understand the Shodokan sport activities not wearing hakama. We do not do the kiyogi tanto randori so it's not an issue. Our folks often wear hakama or not, depends on the occasion. Our randori (slow and intense at beginning stages but fast and full force at higher levels) has not been hampered by hakama even when we go to the ground as necessary at times into newaza. I don't think it really matters what you wear. You need to learn to work within many different settings, etc.

Bogeyman 07-28-2003 06:03 PM

In my 13 years I can't recall seeing anything more than a fall occurring as the result of a hakama and no injuries. I realize that injuries will occur because of getting caught in a hakama but I have seen injuries that had nothing to do with a hakama and have seen an ACL tear from someone walking down a sidewalk. Sometimes accidents just happen and I hate to see it blamed on a part of a uniform.

E

Mel Barker 07-28-2003 06:36 PM

I'm amazed every time I leave the mat and haven't torn a hamstring or pulled my groin from wearing that damn skirt.