AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wooden tags? What are they? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4086)

aarjan 07-02-2003 02:13 AM

Wooden tags? What are they?

Last night I watched the "Divine Techniques" video again. At some point they show some shots from the iwama dojo. I noticed long rows of wooden tags that seem to have names on them... Never noticed them, but can anyone tell me what they are called and what their purpose is?

PeterR 07-02-2003 02:23 AM

Club membership. Don't know about Iwama but we have them and most private dojos do also.

Several dojos I went to in Canada, the US and Europe have them also.

aarjan 07-02-2003 02:29 AM

Thanx! So when your are member, your name is put up there. Anyone knows what they are called?

Chuck Clark 07-02-2003 03:03 AM

The tags are called nafuda and if they are in a rack, it is called a nafudakake.

batemanb 07-02-2003 05:13 AM

In the Kobe dojo that I've seen them, they are arranged in grade order. Your name will move around the dojo as you progress in your aiki.

PeterR 07-02-2003 05:34 AM

Quote:

Bryan Bateman (batemanb) wrote:
In the Kobe dojo that I've seen them, they are arranged in grade order. Your name will move around the dojo as you progress in your aiki.

Another interesting thing, at least where I train, is that the board does not get any bigger. I am sure there is some super secret archaic method of removing name plates but I have never quite figured it out.

A few things I have noticed - is the higher your rank or the longer you were regularily training the longer you can be away before you are removed. I was away for two years and still up there but I have no idea whether there was a last minute scramble to find the lost nafuda (thanks for the info Chuck).

If you die tragically - no way are you removed. If you die in the fullness of years you remain in the dojo for a few more but eventually you disappear.

Shodokan Honbu just built a new one for the members of foreign and affiliated clubs. The names of those members who come from abroad to train. This takes care of several long standing problem including space on the nafudakake (thanks again Chuck).

Ron Tisdale 07-02-2003 07:33 AM

The Yoshinkan has this tradition for yudansha as well.

RT

Don_Modesto 07-02-2003 11:58 AM

Quote:

Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
...the board does not get any bigger....is the higher your rank or the longer you were regularily training the longer you can be away before you are removed....If you die tragically - no way are you removed. If you die in the fullness of years you remain in the dojo for a few more but eventually you disappear.

Interesting observations, thanks.

Chuck Clark 07-02-2003 02:10 PM

I grew up with the idea of nafuda representing your "connection" with the dojo. As long as there is a significant history of an individual training in my dojo as a member in good standing and intimate connections have been formed from training together, the nafuda stays. Even if the person moves away, their heart still occupies a place in the dojo. You can "feel" that the person would like to still be there and will be there whenever possible. Years can pass and the nafuda stays in the rack as long as that feeling of connection continues.

Charles Hill 07-02-2003 02:37 PM

When I moved into the area where I am now, I joined the local volunteer fire department. I was surprised to see a "nafudakake" hanging on the wall at the fire house. The feeling about it is the same as Mr. Clark decribes above. I guess it is not just a Japanese thing. It's something that seems to be appropriate to put up in any place where people gather regularly to improve themselves and to support the community.

Charles

PeterR 07-02-2003 07:06 PM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote:
The Yoshinkan has this tradition for yudansha as well.

At Shodokan Honbu your name goes up with the passing of your first kyu grade. However, as you know, few of those stay to Shodan. They don't last up on the board either.

C. Emerson 07-02-2003 10:35 PM

I can honestly say that I have never heard of this before. I feel like a dummy.

-Chad

Is it pronounced nafoonda?