AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: If you had to move tomorrow to some place without any aikido dojo, would you open up a dojo th (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3718)

AikiWeb System 04-13-2003 12:01 AM

AikiWeb Poll for the week of April 13, 2003:

If you had to move tomorrow to some place without any aikido dojo, would you open up a dojo there?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No, although I'd feel qualified
  • No, and I wouldn't feel qualified
Here are the current results.

DaveO 04-13-2003 03:44 AM

I certainly would; I'm not qualified to do so yet, but knowing me; that wouldn't stop me from at least asking permission.... ;)

PeterR 04-13-2003 03:53 AM

I certainly did - worse yet it was in a place with plenty of Aikido. Just not the Aikido I was interested in. And even worse - I've never felt qualified.

lt-rentaroo 04-13-2003 11:06 AM

I did just that when I moved to Cheyenne, WY nearly three years ago.

Jim ashby 04-13-2003 11:25 AM

Yep, sure would. However,I would only do it with the express support of my Sensei, Tom Moss (6th Dan). Not that I think he would try to stop me, it's just that I would feel better with his support.

Have fun.

DaveO 04-13-2003 08:46 PM

I have in the past heard of 3rd. kyu's starting dojo's; MY question would be: At what point does a person draw the line? IOW; where in a person's development?

For myself; I have the odd combination of being a newcomer to Aikido but a highly experienced teacher. What I know; I can teach effectively; but as yet I don't know enough to effectively teach.

Honestly; I'm far too inexperienced in Aikido to even consider teaching it; however (and this is the reason for my answer) given the choice between starting my own dojo at a low level of ability and no Aikido at all; I'd choose the former; so long as it was allowed. :)

Jonathan 04-14-2003 12:19 PM

Hey, what's the deal? This is the second poll where I have tried to vote only to be informed that I have already voted. I know that I haven't, so what's going on? Is this a glitch or is someone speaking for me?

Kinda' irritating, y'know?

Hagen Seibert 04-14-2003 02:54 PM

Quote:

Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
I certainly did - worse yet it was in a place with plenty of Aikido. Just not the Aikido I was interested in. And even worse - I've never felt qualified.

Ha-ha,

just the words I thought about to reply to this thread....before I scrolled down.

..in fact: excactly what I had to say.

shihonage 04-14-2003 04:04 PM

My "Six month Blackbelt Guarantee" program will stomp the competition into the ground.

ikkainogakusei 04-14-2003 05:59 PM

What about...?

How about yes....though I wouldn't feel qualified? [E]

This is my answer. [Sorry, sometimes I'm difficult]:rolleyes:

:ai: :D :ai:

Tadhg Bird 04-14-2003 06:28 PM

Quote:

Louis A. Sharpe, Jr. (lt-rentaroo) wrote:
I did just that when I moved to Cheyenne, WY nearly three years ago.

My wife is from Wyoming, and I promised her that when I got my Sandan that we would move away from California, and open up a dojo somewhere in the midwest.

... crosses out Chyenne from the list...

Hanna B 04-20-2003 05:19 PM

Maybe. Maybe not, if there was another interesting art around. Never even tried that Phillipino stuff...

lt-rentaroo 04-20-2003 08:41 PM

Tadhg Bird -

You're more than welcome to open up a dojo in Cheyenne!! The USAF (that's United States Air Force, not United States Aikido Federation) is relocating me to California this summer, and so I must bid my students (most are in the Air Force also) a fond farewell.

It would be wonderful if Cheyenne had a full time/permanent dojo. So leave California behind, Wyoming is where you ought to be :D

Take Care!

Karen Wolek 04-20-2003 09:13 PM

I'm with Jane Tao on this one. I'm in no way, shape, or form qualified to open a dojo. But man, if I had to live somewhere without Aikido, I'd do my damnedest to get Aikido! ;)