AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Do you think aikido would be a "better" art if it concentrated on less attacks and t (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3588)

AikiWeb System 03-16-2003 09:27 AM

AikiWeb Poll for the week of March 16, 2003:

Do you think aikido would be a "better" art if it concentrated on less attacks and techniques?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.

Michael Neal 03-16-2003 03:12 PM

I say no but because I am not exactly sure what the question is asking. There are some attacks and techniques that I would not mind to see go but at the same time there are other things that should be brought in.

I actually think we need to focuse on more types of attacks like boxer punches, takedowns, and grappling in order to remain competitive in the martial arts arena.

The fact is that in the west, people often use these attacks frequently and Aikido does not really address them.

otto 03-16-2003 05:53 PM

a "better" art?? , better on what basis?

I do think that Aikido "Teaching" definitly should be more concentrated on Principles rather than techniques.

This on my opinion would produce more effective aikidoca in the long run.

Based on this I would say YES.

PeterR 03-16-2003 07:19 PM

But if the techniques teach principles?

jk 03-16-2003 10:12 PM

Semantics rears its ugly head again...

Depends on what's meant by "better." If you mean turning out more "effective" martial artists in a shorter time span, then you might be better off simplifying and modifying the curriculum...failing that, you send your students to repeated Jon Bluming seminars ;) :

http://www.bujindesign.com/newslette.../review6.shtml

Otherwise, aikido, whatever your particular flavor, is largely fine the way it is (but then what the hell do I know).

Regards,

Edward 03-16-2003 10:19 PM

I voted no. And actually I am for reviving old Daito-ryu techniques and other aikido techniques which were neglected through the years and including them back in the teaching program. Talks about aikido's efficiency are totally meaningless to me.

Goye 03-17-2003 10:06 AM

I think an appropriate Aikido practice gives the opportunity of develop defensive actions for different kinds of attacks.

In real life, sometimes we don't get in situations in which we have to deal with attacks just as we practice in the Dojo. What we should keep in mind is that the continuous practice of "basic attack" techniques helps you to create a lot of possibilities.

The most important fact is that with Aikido you can create so many movements that almost any attack can be solved. Aikido is not static an art, that is why I answered no.

Mona 03-20-2003 04:49 PM

I voted no and second Edward's opinion, and think it would be better if we reimported a few aikijutsu techniques: Sensei has taught us a couple of them and I found them particularly effective.

Scott Berg 03-20-2003 06:47 PM

Quote:

Mona Bassil (Mona) wrote:
I voted no and second Edward's opinion, and think it would be better if we reimported a few aikijutsu techniques: Sensei has taught us a couple of them and I found them particularly effective.

I think effectiveness is based on premise not technique. When an Aikidoist preforms " technique" they are no longer preforming Aikido.

Hagen Seibert 03-22-2003 02:16 PM

No - rather add more (realistic and non-cooperative) attacks

and

Yes - skip a bunch of silly techniques.

otto 03-22-2003 04:12 PM

Quote:

Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
But if the techniques teach principles?

I certainly you're right about that "IF" Peter ;) .

But i like to think that technique evolves from applied principles , technique as refined principle.

So it seems to me sometimes , that overlooking the principles and stressing only "proper" techniques , just will result on weak , innefective aikidoca because the later is restricted to very particular conditions and the former is more general in scope.

I only say this out of my personal experience on teaching and learning.

Hope it makes some sense.

Best of luck on your training.