AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Street Survival Questions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3317)

Veers 01-28-2003 07:31 AM

Street Survival Questions

Okay, so post your answers, and I'll let you know how you do. I missed one. I'm expecting you aikidoka won't miss any. :]

1) We have long known that the average adult male, armed with a light and fast-handling knife, can close 7 yards (around 6.5 meters) from a standing start and stab you in an average time of 1.5 seconds. If we replace the knife with a crowbar, what will be the difference?
A) He'll be slower
B) He'll be faster
C) No appreciable difference

2) Your criminal opponent is a couple of steps away from you, armed with a stolen gun that you recognize as a double action revolver. If he starts shooting, how many rounds can he fire in 1 second if he's "average"?
A) 1
B) 4
c) 6

3) There's that guy with the knife again. His back is to you. Once he begins movie, how quickly can he turn and face you with his weapon?
A) Half a second
B) One second
C) One and a half seconds

4) The knife-armed assailant is 7 yards away (again), but he's huge: six foot six inches (2 meters), 350 pounds (160 Kg), and has a lot of body fat. How will this affect his required time to close the gap?
A) He'll be a good bit slower than average
B) He'll be a bit slower than average
C) He'll be average, or faster

5) You're armed with a concealed weapon in plainclothes when a mugger jumps out of an alley a few steps away. He demands your wallet (or something). You slowly reach under your coat, hoping to draw your weapon and "beat the drop" instead. His eyes are on your hand intently as if he expects you to do just that, and his finger is tense on the trigger. What is his reaction time likely to be for his first shot when you come up with a weapon insteat of a wallet?
A) About .25 second
B) About .5 second
C) About 1 second

Okay, that's it. If you promise not to scroll down and read other peoples' answers, I'll post your scores... Or I can e-mail them to you. Or, you can just not do this, and I'll have wasted some time. :]

Ta Kung 01-28-2003 07:39 AM

I don't want to risk looking incompetent, so I won't take the test. :)

Care to post the answers anyway?

/Patrik

opherdonchin 01-28-2003 08:08 AM

I'll risk looking incompetent because I know I don't know:

1) No appreciable difference

2)4 rounds

3) Half a second to turn around

4) The big fat man will be a bit slower than average

5) The reactino time will be about 0.25 seconds

The only one I have any confidence in is 5, and that's not much confidence at all.

I'm very curious to see the range of answers we get before the solutions are posted. This is fun.

Paul Smith 01-28-2003 08:16 AM

OK, I'll take a stab. (Pun intended).

In order:

A, Slower

B, 4 rounds

A, 1/2 second

B, bit slower

B, .5 seconds.

These are all merely a shot in the dark. Thanks for the questions, looking forward to the answers.

Edward 01-28-2003 08:41 AM

Re: Street Survival Questions

Come on, just give us the answers:D

Alphete 01-28-2003 09:39 AM

I'll dare to post my answers, since I AM very much incompetent at least in this matters,and hope our friend Jonathan enlightens me with the answers :)

1) No appreciable difference

2) 4 :confused:

3) Half a second

4) He'll be slower than average

5) I'm for .25 seconds, but I believe it'd take him a bit more, so I say .50 seconds.

Now send the answers!!!!!! :D :D :D

:circle: :square: :triangle:

Mel Barker 01-28-2003 10:28 AM

Here goes:

1) C) No appreciable difference

2) B) 4

3) A) Half a second

4) B) He'll be a bit slower than average

5) B) About .5 second

willy_lee 01-28-2003 10:52 AM

OK, I'll bite.

1) C, No difference

2) C, 6 rounds in 1 second

3) A, half second to turn around

4) C, big guy is average or faster to close the gap

5) A, reaction time: .25 seconds

Wonder how I'll do :)

=wl

MattRice 01-28-2003 10:53 AM

1)faster

2)1 round

3).5 sec

4)bit slower

5).25 sec

Veers 01-28-2003 11:25 AM

Okay, got a few, anyway...

If you haven't answered yet, don't look at these! The page will be all white, so you have to highlight it for them to show up.

So, for now...

Opher: 3 out of 5

Paul: 2 out of 5

Pablo: 3 out of 5

Mel: 3 out of 5

Willy: 3 out of 5

Matt: 3 out of 5

Willy, if you can shoot 6 rounds in 1 second with a dual-action revolver, I've gotta see it! :]

Greg Jennings e-mailed me his answers, and he's beating you lot with 4 out of 5. :] Forgot to put that in.

Paul Smith 01-28-2003 11:46 AM

Ahem. Maybe it's my reading of it, but for number 1, do you mean to say that a man can close and STAB in the same time, whether a small, light knife or heavy crowbar? I would think the closing time would be virtually identical, but to raise and strike with a crowbar (or some heavy, unbalanced object)?

If so, then I stand abject and corrected.

Veers 01-28-2003 11:58 AM

Well, the thing is, in that distance, if he has the crowbar ready, he can hit you sooner, because of the extra reach.

This one's probably the most debatable, I admit. But, then, this is averages. An individual who might have a weak wrist might be a lot slower, so *shrug*

And, actually, a crowbar isn't that unbalanced. Sure, compared to a dagger or good sword, it is, but still.

Also, if it's any solace to any of you, heh, number 1 was the one I missed, too. I, too, said there'd be no difference.

willy_lee 01-28-2003 12:17 PM

Quote:

Jonathan Lyons (Veers) wrote:
Willy, if you can shoot 6 rounds in 1 second with a dual-action revolver, I've gotta see it! :]

Heheh ... I was counting shots in my head, but now I realize that I was actually allowing myself 2 seconds, not 1. :p

=wl

Greg Jennings 01-28-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

Jonathan Lyons (Veers) wrote:
Greg Jennings e-mailed me his answers, and he's beating you lot with 4 out of 5. :] Forgot to put that in.

Did I err on the conservative side?

Best Regards,

Veers 01-29-2003 06:48 AM

Sort of...