AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   learning aikido full time (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3238)

jackie 01-10-2003 08:42 AM

learning aikido full time

hi i would like anyone to email me if they have any information on learning yoshinkan aikido full time. i have emailed many governing bodies and dojo's but i am still waiting for a reply. any information that anyone could send me about dedicating all my time to this art would be greatly appreciated. thanks. jackie.

Vincentharris 01-10-2003 09:12 AM

Do you mean full time like 8-hours a day like a job ? Can you afford that can of training ? I'm sure if you can then you'll be able to find a private trainer but I imagine that it would be REALLY expensive.

Keith R Lee 01-10-2003 09:13 AM

I presume you are speaking of an uchideshi program? Jun was good enough to setup a page here where one can find links to many uchi deshi programs. I have recently started a 6 month uchi deshi stay at the Chudokan Dojo (Yoshinkan style), listed under the page I linked to. It has been very rewarding (and continues to be) and I recomend it to anyone.

Cheers,

gasman 01-10-2003 09:30 AM

i'd just love to get paid doing aikido full time. arhhg that probably means that I have to get my nidan and start my own dojo. in 10 years time, inshallah...

DavidEllard 01-10-2003 09:51 AM

Sigurd,

Isn't Sunyata Mouliko's Sensei's (sp?) Dojo?

He comes over to us in the UK as often as we can convince him. Must get out Oslo at some point this year.

David.

Tim Harley 01-10-2003 09:58 AM

Isn't true Aikido practiced all the time??

;)

But I understand what you are asking. I don't think I would want (nor could I afford) to study full time. I enjoy too many other activities.

Peace.

norman telford 01-10-2003 11:39 AM

hi there welcome to the aikiweb in answer to your question the only full time aikido course is yoshinkan style in japan and its called the sensushi course(ive more than likely spelt that wrong) which is the japanese riot police course which lasts a year and is very very physicaly and mentaly demanding from what i have read about it but you would need to learn a bit of japanese i think! im not sure which dojo in japan it as at but look for it on the net or even within the forums pages. good luck in your quest i hope you find what your looking for:)

Greg Jennings 01-10-2003 12:25 PM

Quote:

norman telford wrote:
the only full time aikido course is yoshinkan style in japan and its called the sensushi course

I'm afraid that's not correct. There are a great many uchideshi programs around. There is a link to a page listing several such in an earlier post in this thread.

I'm, of course, more familiar with the Iwama uchideshi program. I know of several people that have trained there for *years*.

The pertinent question is money. If the original poster can afford it, I'm sure that he can find a program. If he wants someone to accept him as an uchideshi in trade for being dedicated to aikido, I'm afraid he will not.

Also, from the tone of his message on this thread and what I read on Aikido Journal, I'd think he should consider training longer before taking on an uchideshi program.

Best Regards,