AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chicken Wing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3235)

Thomas Froman 01-09-2003 09:49 PM

Chicken Wing

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to get out of a chicken wing (where the arm is trapped behind the back)?:cool:

MikeE 01-10-2003 12:25 AM

How did you get there to start with?!!

Ta Kung 01-10-2003 01:43 AM

I think it was Lasse Andersson sensei that showed us one way, at a seminar suring 2002 here in Sweden. Let's say your right arm is trapped behind your back ("chicken wing").

Grab your right elbow with your left hand, and push towards your ribs. The right elbow should be so tight against your body, that you couldn't push your Visa card in between :) Otherwise you might get your shoulder hurt.

Move your body, almost pivoting to the right. Bend over (hehehe!) and move your back under ukes arms and push with your back against ukes elbow (watching out for his knee, so he doesn't smash your face with it). Push up so that uke goes up on his toes (think udosai (sp?) ). Now quickly continue the motion to the right (about 270 degrees would do it) under ukes arms, and uke will loose his grip. Move away from uke and maintain zanshin.

This is a bit hard at first, and my explanation probably makes it worse ;). Eitherway, try to start the movement BEFORE uke has your arm caught in the position he wants it in. Otherwise it's damn near impossible.

Atemi to ukes foot works ok aswell. As does a "reverse headbutt".

And as Mike said, why get stuck there in the first place... :)

/Patrik

PS. Anyone else got any ideas?

paul keessen 01-10-2003 03:51 AM

Try to relax your arm completly,and then twist your hips toward uke, then you are in control!

If there is tension in your arm, it won't work!

relaxation is the key!

good luck!

Ta Kung 01-10-2003 06:31 AM

I haven't tried your variation, Paul. But it sounds to me that you're likely to risk damaging your shoulder if you twist your body and relax the arm while uke holds it in a firm grip...

That is why you're supposed to (in my example, at least) keep your arm as close to your body as possible, using the other hand as extra help to be on the safe side.

Just a thought. As I said, I haven't tried your variation. Maybe I visualize it wrong, and there really isn't any risk of injury? Any comments?

Best wishes,

Patrik

Creature_of_the_id 01-10-2003 06:51 AM

the arm is trapped behind the back? what do they have hold of when they are applying the chicken wing? the wrist? the elbow? the wrist and shoulder?

(I'm not sure what a chicken wing is, is what I am getting at)

:)

Ta Kung 01-10-2003 07:15 AM

Hi Kev!

Good question! The one I'm thinking of, Uke has Nages arm up behind nages back. Think morote dori, and then uke moves behind nage pushing the arm against nages back.

There are also variations. Like uke holding nages "chicken wing arm" with one hand, and holding nages shoulder with the other hand.

I'm sure there are others aswell...

/Patrik

Creature_of_the_id 01-10-2003 07:25 AM

ah ok :) thanks!

my favorite from that is kote gaeshi.

the captured arm is held firmly against your own back (as close to your own center from behind as you can, if possible). The free arm reaches up behind you as you move your body forward. The free hand takes hold of ukes wrist and you turn your hips and body in the direction of that arm (right arm takes, turn to the right.. or vice versa).

The movement of the hips with the grip on ukes wrist allows the captured hand to come out between the thumb and the fingers of uke. as you turn uke ends up in front of you with his wrist in your hand, your other hand is now free to fold the fingers and perform as dynamic a kote gaeshi as you wish ;)

very difficult to explain, but very simple and extremenly effective to pull off.

ocbolton 01-29-2003 06:53 AM

um- how much of aikido is atemi.

slide the hips to the right and backfist to the groin with the left hand. or

turning to the left bring the left elbow up to atemi the face. or

lift up one foot and stamping down atemi to their foot (making sure you scrape down the shin first- makes sure you locate the foot and don't stamp the ground).

either one of these provides an opening for technique (i'm sure there are many others)