AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How many hours to Train? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243)

Lisa 09-06-2000 05:26 PM

Hello everyone..

kinda new to the forum, but been training in aikido for over 1 year, i am now 6th kyu, and looking forward to more. I have been traing hard for the past few months especialy. on average i train about 8 hrs a week, 2 of those are helping in the childrens class, which i find most rewarding. my 11 yo and 7 yo also train (2hrs). I was just wondering what is the average everyone else trains..and if there is such a thing as overload..not likely, but ya never know. Included in the 8hrs is 1 hr of weapons..personal Fav.
I am activly wanting higher ranking, which is why i say yes to keeping ranks, and i feel its a motivator for ppl, to get different colors, i am SOOO motivated to getting my dan (s). but i train hard..and do my best, i find going to beginer classes to be most benificial in perfecting my technic..
(perhaps a spelling class would help also,lol)
thoughts anyone?? (not on spelling)

Lisa

Shipley 09-06-2000 05:35 PM

Take a peek in the polls, one of the early ones was how many days a week do you train. Most people train 2 hours when they go (at least in my experience) so you can multiply it out.

2 to 4 days would be my guess though.

Paul

Nick 09-06-2000 05:58 PM

As I like to say (and do, so so often):

Train maybe 2 or 3 days a week, an hour and a half or 2 hours at a time. Use what you learned there 24/7.

Ja,

-Nick

JJF 09-08-2000 02:44 AM

Hi Lisa!

When I first took up Aikido I simply overdid it. I practiced every week-day and two or three days a week both morning and evening practice (I was unemployed at the time). It was fun but my motivation was my desire to grade quickly and within a little less than half a year I lost my 'drive'. It was too much. I coulnd't process all the information I gathered and I found my self more and more confused. In the end I had to stop but now I'm back after a 3 year break and I have found a level of practice much better for me. Twice a week (1 hours each) plus two or three weaponsclasses (1 hour each)

I don't know if my experience translates to everbody but for me there is definately such a thing as overdoing it.

Whatever you do - have fun!

Simone 09-08-2000 03:13 AM

Hi Lisa!

I agree with JJF, for me there is such thing like overdoing, too. If there are courses at university, I train 4 - 5 times a week between 1.5 and 3 hours each, 3 times otherwise. I would prefer 3 times a week. It's not because I'm not fit enough. It's because I can not process what I've learned when I train too often. My progress seems not to be related to the amount of training I do. Sometimes my teacher has to stop me from training (at the moment, I'm highly motivated to get my shodan). So 2 - 3 times would be very fine, I think, at least for peaple who are like me.

Hope that helps,

Simone